ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mountiains on a PNG Map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaron PulverMountiains on a PNG Map
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:15:03 pm

Okay so I'm trying to take a PNG Image of a map and basically pick points on the map and create extruded mountains. Hope that makes sense. See the attached image and it will make a little more sense. Basically I want to make terrain on this map.

Is it possible? I tried puppet tools but not what I was looking for.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mountiains on a PNG Map
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:44:11 pm

If you are hoping to be able to fly over these mountains in 3d space, you'll need to make this in Cinema 4D. Happily, Cinema 4D is included for free with current versions of After Effects.

Alternatively, you could invest in a third-party plugin like Forge Freeform or Mir.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Mountiains on a PNG Map
by on Feb 4, 2016 at 10:53:34 pm

Check this out:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Mountiains on a PNG Map
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 11:01:53 am

Fastest and easiest way I found is to use FreeForm Pro (or the cheaper Free Form V2) from Mettle. It allows you to use displacement and 3d distortion. You can use black and white images as displacement maps, so you can just use Photoshop to create your own displacement map over the image of the map you are using in order to get the exact shapes you need to be displaced. If you can find the area of the map you need with a elevation map as well you can use that as displacement.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved