ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

SSD and MediaCache question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vigen V. Arutyunyan
SSD and MediaCache question
on Feb 3, 2016 at 11:17:05 am

Hey everyone. I think this is my first post here. I've been using AE fulltime for motion graphics and recently have bought a new Macbook pro 15" retina.

The MBP has a REALLY fast SSD (read write 1000+ MBPS on black magic tests) however it is only 250gb and gets filled up with media cache from AE quite fast ( can only allocate about 70gb to it).

I'm also using a USB3.0 HDD for most of my stock footage/sound library as well as archived projects. What I do right now is create the project on my mac's desktop, then move it to the HDD later once it's finished.

Now here's my question. I've been needing more portability lately and the 3TB HDD is too big and heavy to haul around, especially with it's own power supply.

I'm now thinking to purchase an external SSD over USB3.0. The one I'm looking at is a MyDigitalSSD OTG 250gb and is advertised to have speeds up to 480MBPS on read and write.

Do you guys think this would be fast enough for mediacache usage? Or should I keep my projects on it along with the stock footage library that I need, and use the 70gb media cache on my Mac SSD?

I'd really like to elminiate the big HDD out of my everyday workflow. Trying to figure out which way would yield the fast workflow too so all the help is welcome!

PS. one more question about the Media Cache, what happens if it fills up? Does it get overwritten or does it start slowing things down? Can't seem to find an answer to that.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: SSD and MediaCache question
on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:49:33 pm

[Vigen V. Arutyunyan] "I'd really like to elminiate the big HDD out of my everyday workflow. Trying to figure out which way would yield the fast workflow too so all the help is welcome!"

This really depends on how heavily you're relying on the cache. What kinds of work do you do? If you disable the disk cache entirely, are you satisfied with the performance you get?

[Vigen V. Arutyunyan] "PS. one more question about the Media Cache, what happens if it fills up? Does it get overwritten or does it start slowing things down? Can't seem to find an answer to that."

Ae's disk cache is self-pruning. When Ae fills the 70 GB you're allocating, it'll automatically remove older items to make room for newer ones.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Vigen V. Arutyunyan
on Feb 3, 2016 at 12:56:06 pm

Appreciate your response.
Is there a way to disable Media Cache all together? I wasn't aware of that, so I'd appreciate if you could give me a link on this topic.

If it turns out to be unnecessary for my work (as I mostly work with motion graphics and rarely use footage, although this isn't always 100% true). I guess I could even go with lower media cache limit, and use the SSD to hold all my project files and stock library that I use on daily basis.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 3, 2016 at 1:12:23 pm

Let's back up. There are two separate caches: the After Effects disk cache (which stores rendered frames of rendered layers and composites), and the Adobe Conformed Media Cache (which stores processed caches for some multimedia formats to improve performance).

Here's some more information on the distinction:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/memory-storage1.html#caches_ram...

My comments above were related to the disk cache, which automatically fills as you work, because it is constantly saving partial renders of your work to disk. This is the cache for which you can set a size limit.

If you're talking about the media cache, which is used only for comforming assets you import, then what I said above does not apply. You cannot set a size limit, and the Adobe apps which share this cache do not automatically prune it. You would have to manually clear this from time to time to reclaim disk space.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Vigen V. Arutyunyan
on Feb 4, 2016 at 4:28:51 pm

Ahh I see, thanks for the info!

I did some reading and I think I got a solid understanding of the chache stuff.

As for the SSD that I'm looking for, Do you think the 400~ MBPS speed would suffice for the rendered frames cache purposes? Or is it too low?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]