ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Send video/comp to sub-comp layers dynamically?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lyle HirschSend video/comp to sub-comp layers dynamically?
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 3:02:21 am

Is it possible to feed one layer into another dynamically? In other words, I've made a template composition where a video has been cut into two layer halves. Those two halves are key-framed with a slider to pull apart or come together as a transition to reveal the scene behind it. I'd like to be able to dynamically change the two layer halves to whatever scene I need to be transitioning out from.

I know I could use TrkMt to mask, but then the layers don't move, they just mask away. I need the video to be sent to the sub-comp's two layers so it can be torn apart. Is this possible, or am I going to be stuck doing this effect by hand over and over again for each transition?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Send video/comp to sub-comp layers dynamically?
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:04:18 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. It sounds like you could use a pre-comp, but then you use the term sub-comp and I don't understand what your describing? You want to feed a comp into itself?

Return to posts index

Lyle HirschRe: Send video/comp to sub-comp layers dynamically?
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:16:40 pm

I've created a pre-comp were a video has been split into two layers, and masked into halves. Those halves are animated to split apart, and slide off screen to reveal a new scene behind it. (Video cuts in half, and flies apart to transition scenes)

Right now, that pre-comp, obviously, always plays the same video clip, seeing as that's what I manually set up in its timeline. My hope is that I can somehow make those video clips variables, or something, that I can swap out dynamically without having to manually create a unique pre-comp for each individual transition with static video layers defined in each comp for each transition.

My hope was that I would be able to make the effect once, and re-use it multiple times without having to manually create each unique transition clip, or maintain dozens of different unique transition comps for this project.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Send video/comp to sub-comp layers dynamically?
by on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:52:42 pm

I just made something like that a couple of days ago. The trick: nest the comp containing the video, and do all the masking & animation on that nested comp in the main comp. Use a couple of instances of that nested comp in your main comp.

Then to replace shots, all you have to do is Highlight the two layers in the main comp, and use the Replace Footage command.

In intend to use mine (40 fat lines instead of 2 halves) by rendering the completed animation with an alpha channel, and importing it into an editing application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:44:24 pm

Thanks, Dave.

That idea sounds like what I was originally tinkering with, but I was finding that with all of the cuts I needed to do (literally, hundreds) it was making the project really unwieldy. But, it's likely I'm just confused.

If I understand your suggestion, replacing the video in the composition would still require me to maintain individual pre-comps with different videos set for the two halves, no? If this is wrong, could you please elaborate?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 8:23:54 pm

You'd need a separate nested comp for each piece of footage involved in one SINGLE transition. The main comp would handle the animation chores for that one single transition.

But I have to tell you -- if this is for a single project, using the same transition over & over again hundreds(?) of times is going to get old really fast. Possibly around transition #18 or so.

If it's the same transition in hundreds of individual videos, it's not nearly as annoying -- knock yourself out!

Another thing to think about -- lots of editing applications can do transitions similar to what you're proposing. Before you commit to AE for the job, you should check out your NLE. If it can do it, it will be a LOT faster doing it there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:29:10 am

I absolutely agree with you about it getting old fast, but it's an effect the client has pretty much insisted on. It's being matched up with a beat to produce a slide show of sorts, and they want these scenes cutting at different angles, and flying apart throughout this looping clip.

That said, it sounds like I was on the right track with my original ideas, and that I'm just gonna have to strap in for some tedious busy work.

Thanks for the help, Dave. Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 5:59:41 pm

And don't forget to check the transitions in your NLE first!!!! It's lots easier to do 'em there than in AE!!!!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]