ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating text preset with individual character animations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven GehrhardtCreating text preset with individual character animations
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 8:41:33 pm

I am making a template in which the opening sequence will always be the same text animation of the letters coming in, but it will need to be different text every video.

I have made a sample of a five letter word, used range selector and made an animation for each character. It works but for some reason when I get past five letters things get messed up and previous characters get mashed up or displaced into other ranges.

The final look is a glitchy, scattered entrance, so they do not enter in order one after another.

I also cant get bezier handles in the graph editor for the animated letters. But that may be all grouped up into this mess

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Creating text preset with individual character animations
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:22:44 pm

If you're making a template like this, I'd always recommend making the template with the longest possible text that will be there.

However, for this project, the solution really depends on how fast and what your animation is. If you want the animation to come in one letter at a time, then your range selector needs to be at least as many frames as there are letters otherwise multiple letters will come in at the same time. If you are using a bezier on the range selector, then you'll need to extend it much longer or the fastest section will include multiple letters. If it's already slow enough, then I'm not sure what could be causing your problem without some more information. If you could include some screenshots or demo of your animation, that would probably help a lot.

Return to posts index

Steven GehrhardtRe: Creating text preset with individual character animations
by on Feb 9, 2016 at 10:20:48 pm

I figure it out, partially. Switching the range selector to index allows you to have many many ranges. With percentage each character was taking a 20% range, hence only being able to do 5. Also, a lot easier to keep track of since each character is just an index of 1 (For example: 1.0-2.0, 3.0-4.0) which rules. As for the curves, I am still not sure why I cant separate dimensions and be able to fine tune with bezier handles but I have it working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved