ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Interpret as separate fields for deinterlace plugin?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean DavidInterpret as separate fields for deinterlace plugin?
by on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:42:36 pm

My PAL footage is LFF, and is going onto a frames (no fields) timeline. Just to make sure I understand this correctly for quality sake, and for optimal use of a deinterlace plugin.

Under 'interpret footage', when 'separate fields' is 'off', the footage is NOT deinterlaced.

When 'separate fields' is 'on', the footage is deinterlaced, and is improved by selecting 'preserve edges'.

So when using a deinterlace plugin, would it be better to leave the footage interlaced ('separate fields' set to 'off')? I have a feeling that these plugins are smart enough to go back and get the source to work on, but what is your experience?

I've been testing Red Giant's 'Frames' since it came with my trial bundle for 'Instant 4K', but open to any other favorites?

Sean

Asus G750JZ i7, 24GB RAM, Nvidia 880M 4GB, Win8.1 64 bit, Adobe CC, Cinema4D Studio 17, and whatever else it takes to get the job done.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Interpret as separate fields for deinterlace plugin?
by on Feb 1, 2016 at 7:24:44 pm

AE doesn't deinterlace that way. It SEPARATES fields with that footage interpretation setting.

This means that when set to lower field first, you'll only see one field in a 25fps comp. With the separate fields switch set to None, you would see both fields of a frame in a 25fps comp. In video with a lot of motion, it would have annoying horizontal lines.

If you want to deinterlace your footage, you should use a different technique. We don't know what software you run, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:35:18 am

You know, you can simply use your deinterlacing plugin on a test clip imported twice and interpreted differently. Then you'd know.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sean DavidRe: Interpret as separate fields for deinterlace plugin?
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 7:29:13 pm

Don't take this as arguing, but I was going by the AE help page:

If you want to use interlaced or field-rendered footage (such as NTSC video) in an After Effects project, you get the best results if you separate the video fields when you import the footage. After Effects separates video fields by creating a full frame from each field, preserving all of the image data from the original footage.

Separating fields is critical if you plan to make significant changes to the image. When you scale, rotate, or apply effects to interlaced video, unwanted artifacts, such as crossed fields, are often introduced. By separating fields, After Effects accurately converts the two interlaced frames in the video to noninterlaced frames, while preserving the maximum amount of image quality. Using noninterlaced frames allows After Effects to apply edits and effects consistently and at the highest quality.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/importing-interpreting-video-au...

I have indeed done tests and compared them, and like AE's newest upscaling effect better than Frames, though they are very close. It doesn't seem to matter whether I 'separate fields' when using Frames, but it is necessary for the AE upscaling effect.

I'm just trying to be sure I get it right now, the project will have hundreds of clips, and I don't want to have to redo/fix anything later.

Sean

Asus G750JZ i7, 24GB RAM, Nvidia 880M 4GB, Win8.1 64 bit, Adobe CC, Cinema4D Studio 17, and whatever else it takes to get the job done.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 7:31:54 pm

By the way, we're working in Premiere Pro / After Effects on PC.

Sean

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Interpret as separate fields for deinterlace plugin?
by on Feb 2, 2016 at 5:07:00 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:35:00 pm

if you interpret AE with fields, you are agreeing to its own method of deinterlacing(preserve is highest). all the other plugins I have ever tried require you to have fields set to off so they can use their own methods. There are many programs that can deinterlace.

listed in order of quality

1. terenax
2. free avisynth QTGMC Deinterlacing Script
3. Fieldskit deinterlacer
4. red giant frames
5. BCC deinterlace
6. PHYX Cleaner
7. (if you want to experiment) separate the fields in draft mode and use the other field as a warp guide for effect->timewarp, you can deinterlace often with better quality than AE's preserve best edges.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/75ywcxmvo1am5k7/deinterlace.aep
8. AE.

I also still have the old topaz enhance if you'd like to compare(email an example png) its almost about the same quality as a teranax. But if you feel like scripting, I'd go for QTGMC. It's optical adaptive like topaz enhance and much better than yadif.

keep in mind, if the plugin is only 8 bit and you have 32 bit footage, you have to use Effects->utility
The HDR Compander. example: (compressor/"the plugins you use"/expander) sandwiched between the plugin

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 8:25:14 pm

I've heard about the Teranex 2D, which I have been told is very good. My goal is to scale footage up to full HD, so perhaps that would be one of the better ways to achieve both, but it isn't cheap.

(Topaz Enhance is available at software informer with an apparently valid install file. It is 'abandonware', but not sure about the licensing. Getting it to work in the recent AE might be a hurdle.)

Sean

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:38:38 pm

Besides up-rezzing, another thing to consider is how you convert a 4x3 aspect ratio into a 16x9 aspect ratio.

If the footage was originally shot without a lot of headroom, you could lose heads.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:27:49 pm

Thanks Dave, but it was all shot anamorphic 16:9. The pixels are still 720x576, but it interprets beautifully to 16:9 widescreen. I moved to widescreen as soon as I could, I never really liked 4:3.

Sean

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:45:33 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 3, 2016 at 2:57:16 pm

this uses adjacent frames to build upscaling. it has a trial. you could compare it to AE's upscale.
It looks a lot better in my opinion.

http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution/
http://www.infognition.com/articles/video_upsize_methods_comparison.html

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:34:11 pm

I will look, Chris. (I've tried to visit the site before and Malwarebytes Prem blocked it, it's on a list for some reason.)

Sean

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13:40 am

the plugin is really good, too bad you're blocked from a good product; false positive. The multithreading on super resolution is really fast, even faster than realtime.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2016 at 6:04:10 pm

No, I can and will override the block to try it, I'm just careful when warned. :)

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]