ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting /Render - Colour and Artefacts -

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross LeesonExporting /Render - Colour and Artefacts -
by on Jan 30, 2016 at 3:09:31 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have had a constant problem with a video I made which can be found at . .

It is a complicated issue - in my head at least - so I will break this down.

**My goal is to get a rendered video that can be played on my TV, and my computer with the colour looking the same on each, and minimal artefacts. I need that video on Vimeo**

One thing I do not understand is if I watch Avatar on my computer how comes I don't get the same artefacts ? The bit rate must be the same right ? and if its a ripped DVD etc then it hasn't had some expert working on it. So this problem MUST be fixable right, or could I have made a film with just too much going on ?

I have spoken to Motion Graphics artists, and DiT's and Colourists, none of them understand why this is messing up. None of them have actually looked at my project though.

This is driving me crazy and I want to understand the problem, because sometimes I work on TV shows as a Self-Shooting Researcher and I edit little bits for the Directors and add little effects on my laptop. I don't want to face this on a project because I will look really stupid.

I also don't want to work on something this hard and face this problem again. I need to understand:

A) Why there are blocky artefacts on this particular project I know its compression but surely I can get it looking better.

B) Why does the colour look great on Vimeo on my computer, but crap when I stream from Vimeo on my TV, and crap on Youtube also.

This test project I did looks exactly the same as the one on my computer, on youtube, and my TV

C) How can make it look the same on all websites/ media/ platforms, and get rid of the blocky artefacts in this video with a bit depth of 10mbs ? If at all.

For the record. I also attempted uploading uploading the 4444 version and letting vimeo compress, it looked really bad.

So to sum up have a I made a video with so much going on the blockiness with always be there at this compression rate ?

How do I get it looking the same on all devices in terms of colour ? I was told some graphics cards set their luminance in a weird way so that's why it happens ?

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Oh by the way I export an animation, then I put it through MPEG Stream and to compress. This has worked the best so far.

Sorry this is such a big question, I love the art of Motion Graphics and 3D modelling and it's taken me a year of tutorials and books to get good enough to make stuff like this so some help would be appreciated. I'm also getting offered work as an Motion Graphics Artist. I don't want things like this to burn me. I know it's a curve and we're always learning.

Thanks, Ross Thomas Leeson

Return to posts index

Ross LeesonRe: Exporting /Render - Colour and Artefacts -
by on Jan 30, 2016 at 3:51:37 pm

By the way this isa written in regards to the vimeo link at the top ... not the 'test render' that is an example of it working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved