ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Link layer's position properties to another layer without shifting its place???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Everton Gois
Link layer's position properties to another layer without shifting its place???
on Jan 27, 2016 at 2:21:26 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to create an automatic follow thru using two nulls, the problem I'm facing is, when I link 'Null1' XY position to 'Nulls2' XY position, 'Null1' shift its place to 'Nulls2'. How can I keep 'Null1' at the same position as it was?. Its a character rig, I'm link 'Head' to 'Hip', so as the 'hip' moves up/down, 'Head' will be 3 frames delayed its moviment.Another thing is 'Head' is parented to the 'Neck' layer.

I'm using this expression to to create auto 'follow thru':
thisComp.layer("Bla Bla").transform.position.valueAtTime(time-(3/25));

Thank you for your time

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
Re: Link layer's position properties to another layer without shifting its place???
on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:20:28 pm

You can add '+value' to the expression. It'll allow you to move the layer where you want it while still having it follow 'Bla Bla'. You can also independently animate it using it's own keyframes

(thisComp.layer("Bla Bla").transform.position.valueAtTime(time-(3/25)))+value

You can also add yourself a Position Expression Control from the Effects and add its value if the above is impossible for your current setup.

Mike Sevigny
http://www.torusfx.com

Return to posts index

Everton Gois
Re: Link layer's position properties to another layer without shifting its place???
on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:42:37 pm

OMG Mike, it worked as treat!. Thanks for that.
I'm interested in what you said here
"You can also add yourself a Position Expression Control from the Effects and add its value if the above ..."
I'm totally beginner when it comes to expression, if you could give a hint how to do it I'd apreciate once again.

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:17:27 pm

After Effects allows you to add additional parameters to use with your expressions. Under 'Effect' at the top of the application, select 'Expression Controls' > 'Point Control'. This will give you additional parameters to link or keyframe.

So in the case above, you could add the new 'Point Control' to your expression instead of the +value. Have a look at the other options in the 'Expression Controls' menu. Note that you can also rename the parameters by selecting the name in your 'Effect Controls' panel and hitting [ENTER], like you would in your 'Project Panel'.

Good luck!

Mike Sevigny
http://www.torusfx.com

Return to posts index

Everton Gois
on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:20:02 pm

Mike, you are a STAR. Thanks for this little BIG HELP. I appreciate :)

Everton Gois
Digital Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]