ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thumper StraussCannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:19:02 am

I added a light layer to my comp. When I click the layer so I can move around the light position in the composition window (on top of my video image and near my 3D text), I don't see that pictogram light/lamp thingy and all the arc lines showing where the light will fall. I am able to move around that light source, but I have to do it blind.

The weird thing is that I have another comp that appears to be pretty identical and am able to see that light/lamp thingy.

I have restarted PC. No change.

AfterEffects 1015.1 Release // 13.6.1.6

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Cannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 12:52:19 pm

Try View > Show Layer Controls. This is a per-comp setting, responsible for whether or not layer handles, lighting controls, camera wireframes, etc. are shown on-screen.

Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+H (PC) or Cmd+Shift+H (Mac).

This one is handy to know. I use it constantly to toggle layer controls on and off, so I can see the comp in the viewer clearly, or so I can manipulate the controls visually.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Thumper StraussRe: Cannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:21:41 pm

I tried View > Show Layer Controls (Ctrl+Shift+H) but it doesn't have an effect. I still don't see the camera wireframes on the screen, although I am able to move the lights angles around, blindly. Could it have to do with my weak graphics card?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Cannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:26:51 pm

Click into your viewer panel, then View > View Options (Ctrl+Alt+U). Make sure that everything that you want to see is enabled.

[Thumper Strauss] "Could it have to do with my weak graphics card?"

It shouldn't, but you might also try toggling this setting:
Edit > Preferences > Display > "Hardware accelerate composition, layer, and footage panels"

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Thumper Strauss[SOLVED] Cannot see light/lamp/arc pictogram thingy when I click light layer
by on Jan 28, 2016 at 9:15:05 pm

Just to follow up and close this thread, the "Hardware accelerate composition, layer, and footage panels" was grayed out.

But anyway, I created a new comp was eventually able to see the wireframes thingy.

As it happens, I discovered that I would get much better results with the Camera Tracker (instead of Motion Tracker). And with Camera Tracker I haven't had a problem seeing the wireframes thingies.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]