ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting colour right from the start in AfterEffects for Rec 709 in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darion LeighGetting colour right from the start in AfterEffects for Rec 709 in After Effects
by on Jan 22, 2016 at 11:17:03 am

Hi -

I know there is a lot of info on the forums on colour already but I am having some issues gleaning the right info from them. I would appreciate some help at the start of this large project.

I am working on a recently calibrated monitor

I don't mind what setting or workflow I use as long as I am generally able to work in after effects and be fairly confident that why I am setting on the stage is what will be outputted - and will be safe for broadcast Rec 709 - (16-235).

These are my settings...

File > project settings > Colour settings > Working space = HD TV Rec 709 (16-235)

File > project settings > Colour settings > Depth = 16

View > Use display Colour Management

View > Simulate Output > HDTV (Rec 709)

I am rendering out as QuickTime animation as requested by my client.

I am editing the output animation in Premiere (I am not using dynamic link as it is not fast enough)

I think the colours look great. However their feedback is:

• my colours are dull, dark
• and that the luminance is low

And sure enough if I check the colour scopes in Premiere the luminance is quite low.

So i guess my questions are:

• What setup should I use in After Effects to give me the best chance of seeing and outputting correct colours?
• Are there any particular ender stetting I should be aware of?
• What setup should I use in Premier to see the same?
• can I set the scopes in Premiere to show 16 - 235 instead of 0 - 255?
• What file format should I save my images in from Photoshop for importing into After Effects to ensure maximum colour compatibility.
• If I need to clip a few colours in Premiere to make them legal - what is the best way of doing that?

I know this is a lotto ask -I am not looking for 100% colour accuracy - just good healthy ballpark previews.

Thanks so much for any imput...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Getting colour right from the start in AfterEffects for Rec 709 in After Effects
by on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:53:48 pm

Try Rec. 709, not Rec. 709 (16-235).

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/color-management.html#broadcast...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Darion LeighRe: Getting colour right from the start in AfterEffects for Rec 709 in After Effects
by on Jan 22, 2016 at 6:28:43 pm

Thanks I will give that a go

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]