ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Write on effect doesn't show motion path anymore on AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Byron StanfordWrite on effect doesn't show motion path anymore on AE CC
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:13:21 pm

Hi everyone,

hope you can help me out. I've been an avid reader of these forums and always have seemed to find the right answer for any problem I've had in the past. This one, however, has me stumped.

So yesterday I was working on a composition where I wanted to reveal a word with the write on effect to make it seem as it's being drawn on the screen. I applied the effect, and got about half way done without any hiccups. Every time I moved the timeline and dragged the final point marker, the line would show handles to customize the curves the effect had to make. I saved my project and quit out of AE.

Today when I returned, the line isn't there. The only thing I have is the final point for the brush position (a circle with a + inside). I can no longer see the path I saw yesterday and can't edit any of the curves, add points, or anything that I was doing yesterday. When I select the Pen or Convert Vertex tools, they act just like the normal arrow, only dragging the final point.

I've gone through the forums and checked that RotoBeizer isn't on, I also have Motion Paths on in the View Options and changing the temporal interpolation on the keyframes from Linear to Bezier or Auto Bezier is not changing anything. I've even created new projects and started over from scratch and still can't get the effect to show as it was yesterday. I doubt that I changed any settings, but don't discard it. I just find it weird that the effect is not behaving like yesterday.

This is my first time using this effect, so maybe I'm missing something. Hope you guys have encountered this before or know what's going on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Write on effect doesn't show motion path anymore on AE CC
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:42:02 pm

It's common practice to use a Mask Path for Write On's brush position -- make the mask, copy it and paste into the brush position. Is that how you did it? If so, you'd have to find that Mask Path.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Byron StanfordRe: Write on effect doesn't show motion path anymore on AE CC
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:48:13 pm

Hi Dave,

thanks for your response. However, that is not how I created the first part of the motion path. I just tried doing that a moment ago, but because of how intricate the letters I want to reveal with the effect are, doing it as a mask isn't helping. I copy and then paste to the brush position and find that I need to make a lot of adjustments, and because now I can't see the path, anchors or handles, I can't fine tune it.

I really don't know how this could have happened. It's like yesterday the effect worked in one way and now it works in a completely different way. Or maybe I did something yesterday I can't remember!

thanks for the help though.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:53:18 pm

Try highlighting the Brush Position on the effect. Perhaps it will show up.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Byron StanfordRe: Write on effect doesn't show motion path anymore on AE CC
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:02:20 pm

Nothing, I've tried highlighting the effect, the brush position, the layer... even deleted all my preferences. Nothing. This is what it looks like right now. Yesterday I could see the motion path as if it were a mask path and edit any of the points, make the lines curve in the direction I wanted... today I can't even control how they curve, which is really annoying.

Is there maybe a different method to make it appear as these letters are being drawn on? Ultimately I want to used this layer as an matte to reveal the video underneath it.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2016 at 9:15:12 pm

Well, apparently that's ANOTHER thing broken in AE CC 2015. In which case, lasso all the position keyframes & put the timeline cursor on the final keyframe.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]