ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Show just clone strokes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony DupstaShow just clone strokes
by on Jan 20, 2016 at 11:03:34 pm

Working with the Clone tool in AE
AE CC2014 MacOSX

I have used the clone tool to clone an area of my comp. Taking pixels from one area and painting them to another area. 1 layer.
I need to color correct those paint strokes. As the area they were cloned from are slightly darker.
I want to lift just the paint strokes a tad, possibly apply a levels to the clone strokes.

I feel that I may have reached AE's limitations and I should start over and do this in PS. The one advantage that keeps me trying here is that AE is sampling each source clone frame allowing me to keep the grain structure. PS will just create a still patch that I will need to degrain and grain.

I have tried to click "paint on transparent" to just reveal the clone/paint work. No go there.

Everything points to the "Paint on Transparent" check box but this does not do what I thought it would do. Sounds like it would just show the clone strokes but it does not, maybe it is for paint strokes and not clones strokes?

Anyone tried this in the past and have a work around. If this is not clear no worries, this is the only time I have ever even thought of doing this in years, so must be super rare and not a big deal. Photoshop here I come!

Return to posts index

Eddie YepezRe: Show just clone strokes
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 1:59:33 am

Hi Antony; just use the clone tool as you normally do. Then add a solid layer and cut and paste the Paint effect from the original layer to the new solid. Then activate the paint on transparent check. Now you can add a levels or any other effect.

Hope it helps you.

Eddie Yepez

Return to posts index

Antony DupstaRe: Show just clone strokes
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 4:23:15 am

Thanks for the tip. Yes, just toggle into RGBA and your tip works perfect. Thanks for your kind reply.
Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved