ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Howlaround Transitions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew tygertHowlaround Transitions
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:40:04 pm

I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan - and one of the things I've always wanted to do is re-create some of the transitions used in the title sequences; most especially, the way the used video feedback to transform images. I'd like to learn how to do that in AE 7.

Example

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Howlaround Transitions
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 10:09:41 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 19, 2016 at 10:23:41 pm

How close do you want to get?

To do the job ACCURATELY, you'll need 2 analog video cameras, 3 monitors, a video recording device like a VTR and a triple-reentry analog video switcher; a Grass Valley 300 would do nicely. No joking.

It took those BBC guys HOURS to get that stuff right. They were keying on a switcher, which was played through a monitor and shot by a camera, which was also going through the switcher... which was shot by the camera. And that was recorded for more keying later. It was a pain to get, simply because moving a monitor or a camera a half-inch in any direction resulted in a different feedback pattern. That's analog video for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

matthew tygertRe: Howlaround Transitions
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:59:57 pm

I wanted to know if there are ways a way to fake a similar transition effect digitally. I want to substitute Capraldi for Pertwee and the cleaner, sharper '96 logo for the fuzzier one from the 70's, but I'd rather not just plaster his old face over poor Jon's old face.

Return to posts index

matthew tygertRe: Howlaround Transitions
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 8:02:10 pm

I wanted to know if there are ways a way to fake a similar transition effect digitally. I want to substitute Capraldi for Pertwee and the cleaner, sharper '96 logo for the fuzzier one from the 70's, but I'd rather not just plaster his old face over poor Jon's old face. Basically, 70's titles for Heaven Sent.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Howlaround Transitions
by on Jan 24, 2016 at 2:32:03 am

There are certain things that were done comparatively easily in analog... though painstamingly... that can't be replicated in digital without a lot -- and I mean A LOT -- of hard and even more painstaking work. Especially video feedback. Everything changes in some way on every frame. You can' t make prepared graphics. -- they would change and evolve on every frame. And because feedback is basically infinite , you'd have just about an infinite number of layers to modify.

It's really, Really, REALLY tough to fake analog video feedback with digital techniques. Are you prepared to spend several months for a few seconds of video?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]