ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Options and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean DavidOptions and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD
by on Jan 18, 2016 at 10:58:27 pm

I have the digital source footage in SD, and want to use it at 1280x720 at the best quality reasonable. I've found Instant4K and UpRez but wondered if there were any others recommended? Also, is there a hardware device that would do this better/faster than software? I'm using Windows.

(If there is another forum I could post this in as well, please let me know. Not against a standalone solution vs. plugins.)

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HPrem 64 bit, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Options and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 9:46:13 am

Before you buy something additional, make sure that you know about the built-in scaling features:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/08/favorite-features-cc-versions-a...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Sean DavidRe: Options and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:11:14 pm

Thanks, Todd. I plan to run a few comparisons to see if we need a third party solution.

Sean

Asus G73JH i7-720, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870 1GB, Win7 HPrem 64 bit, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Cinema4D Studio 11, and more...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Options and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 9:24:04 pm

If you have any of Red Giant's products, check to see if you have one of their resizing tools too. They've been included in various plugin collections they've sold in the past. If you don't have it, you can download a demo. That way you can compare how your footage looks with AE's Detail-Preserving Upscaling vs. Red Giant's toolset.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Options and recommendations for upsampling SD to HD
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 10:59:47 am

[Sean David] " Also, is there a hardware device that would do this better/faster than software? "

Yeah. How much money do you have?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:10:38 pm

I wouldn't be able to pay more than $1K, unless the quality/speed was significantly superior to using software. There is about 3-5 hours to convert, in many smaller clips.

Sean

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2016 at 5:28:50 pm

Seriously, does Blackmagic or a similar company make such a device? They have lots of converter boxes, but they seem to be all display conversion vs file conversion.

Sean

Asus G750JZ i7, 24GB RAM, Nvidia 880M 4GB, Win8.1 64 bit, Adobe CC, Cinema4D Studio 17, and whatever else it takes to get the job done.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2016 at 6:20:37 pm

[Sean David] "Seriously, does Blackmagic or a similar company make such a device?"

Blackmagic is now making the Teranex so that would do it. The thing is that it's made for signal based conversion so you would need to run your footage through it and capture it from the output. All processing is in realtime.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2016 at 6:22:27 pm

There's also Digital Vision's Thor but that cool piece of tech doesn't even have a price tag on the site. I'd wager it's in the tens of thousands.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:44:38 pm

For interest sake, I did contact the people who make Thor, and the hardware (PCIE-16 card) is just an engine to speed up processing (up to 8x or so), and is optional. The conversion routines are in their Loki/Phoenix software which is made up of a group of modules. The pricing for the software is in the 10's of k's, depending which product/group of modules you choose. (Message me if you want the gory details, I don't want to put the prices here.) They offer the full turnkey hardware / installation / training / support, which would be a pretty penny more. It is likely aimed at producers and broadcast clients like cable channels who are more interested in volume and the end product than in the cost to get there.

Sean

Asus G750JZ i7, 24GB RAM, Nvidia 880M 4GB, Win8.1 64 bit, Adobe CC, Cinema4D Studio 17, and whatever else it takes to get the job done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]