ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fibonacci/golden spiral and endless zoom

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robin dikovskyFibonacci/golden spiral and endless zoom
by on Jan 17, 2016 at 6:59:20 pm

i've been reading stuff on this forum for years, it's a great community; however it's the first time that i'm directly asking for help here, I hope some people may be able to give me some help on this :)

i have to create this video effect : an endless zoom or dezoom of video in a golden spiral composition.
Maybe a visual can help to understand what i mean, so here it is :

(in which every rectangle is the same video in 16/9 ratio)

At first the idea was to do this real time with a live camera input (with maxmsp or openframeworks), but as i'm not a programmer we are going to do this pre-recorded so I thought after effects is the right tool to do that. Still, i guess there would be a way to do this with expression, as i've found myself unable to create a seamless loop with my first trial of this effect ; So my question is : how would you deal with this effect to have a seamless zoom effect and be able to animate the speed of the effect ?

also, i've created my golden spiral grid in AI to be more precise but I don't know how to import it in AE and fit my video in each shape of the grid. In other word, how do you fit a composition in a rectangle path ? It may sound as a very simple thing to do but i didn't find the answer anywhere. I'm quite a beginner with after effects, i've used it on several projects but never for very advanced stuff.

Many thanks in advance for any help, i'm still a bit stressed by this job, even if it seems like a simple task.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Fibonacci/golden spiral and endless zoom
by on Jan 18, 2016 at 1:43:06 pm

You can use the techniques described in the tutorials below. To get the zoom to happen around the center of the golden spiral just make sure the anchor point for all layers is set to that particular spot.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

robin dikovskyRe: Fibonacci/golden spiral and endless zoom
by on Jan 19, 2016 at 2:18:21 pm

thanks for the tutorials ! I'll have a look on these. I already got more or less how to make it a seamless loop with the exponential scale tool (finally i remade the composition in after effects directly, took me some time but it's perfect now).
However, I now have two problems :
the first one is that my comp is moving a few pixels at the loop point, i can correct this with position keyframing but i don't know why it's happening, but i guess i'm alone on this one :) my anchor point is at the correct center, like if after effects was not completely pixel perfect in its scaling, which i doubt it is...

the other thing is that i don't know how to animate the effect, now that it's looping: I need to be able to increase/decrease the speed of the scaling with nice curves, without changing the speed of my movie (is that clear ? haha). Because the idea is to start with a single video and then slowly start the effect.

I still have to work on this, may be back with some advancements soon.

Return to posts index

Rich MalmbergRe: Fibonacci/golden spiral and endless zoom
by on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:46:10 am

One reason your loop maybe jumping is that you don't actually want to be in the exact same spot at the end of the loop as you are at the beginning, you have to allow for the fact that it is in motion. So you have to figure out how much it should've moved in the frame between the last frame and the beginning. It is pixel perfect. To speed ramp you could just do a series of these single loops, each one with their keyframes closer together to speed them up incrementally. That way your video can remain at normal speed. Not sure if any of this is helpful.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 22, 2016 at 11:24:36 pm
Last Edited By robin dikovsky on Jan 23, 2016 at 12:46:40 am

helpful for sure! I've done exactly what you said, and the result is now close to perfect.

Finally, I found the perfect expression to do this effect there:

Does exactly what i need. Fantastic !

However, i still don't know why i get a sudden change in the shape of my composition; i made all the scales and positions by hand so i'm sure everything is correct, but i can't get a proper loop because of that. the smallest video frames even change ratio !

Another thing is that i need a motion blur to happen as the movement is going super fast at the end, but because of the scaling going from 100 to 10% at each loop, i get some extreme motion blur at these particular frames which are killing the effect; i tried with cc force motion blur but still have the same problem. I thought then that i could render my comp and then apply some motion blur but there seems to be no footage motion blur effect integrated in AE :(

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2016 at 3:24:25 pm
Last Edited By robin dikovsky on Jan 24, 2016 at 8:56:36 pm

After hours of working on my comp, i just render... and realise that all my transitions are f**cked up! And nothing shows in the preview, only when i render ! And after, again, hours of investigating why, why the hell is this happening to me, i just found that if i do the "convert expression to keyframes", the problem appears in my preview screen...

i'm desperate right now, don't know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated !

EDIT: whatever i do, i still have this glitch. I tried with the "exponential scale" tool, same problem, everything fine in preview then glitch when render. I'm stuck. Need an expert right now, may be a paid job !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved