ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing Banding on YouTube that doesn't appear in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeanette WilkinsonRemoving Banding on YouTube that doesn't appear in After Effects
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 7:08:46 pm

Hi there,

I shot a music video in low light with a Canon 5D Mark 2.

Specs: Monochrome, ISO 2000, 135 mm, F2.0, 1/30 sec.

I have tinted it blue.

As the footage was quite noisy I used Remove Grain, Gradient Ramp, Curves and Add Grain (to hide the slight amount of remaining banding) and the footage looks pretty good in After Effects. However, this is what happens each time I upload to YouTube...You can particularly notice the pixelation and banding around 30 seconds -- we were shooting a reflection in a window.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Jeanette

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Removing Banding on YouTube that doesn't appear in After Effects
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 8:01:52 pm

Do you have notice the banding in the file you outputted from AE(one you uploaded to youtube)? Generally with files for youtube, I try to render to there specs and expect some compression issues. Nature of the beast.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jeanette WilkinsonRe: Removing Banding on YouTube that doesn't appear in After Effects
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 8:35:18 pm

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply.

There is only a little bit noticeable in the export file (before I upload to YT) - and it is in the window reflection section at the beginning.

Do you think Vimeo's compression will be kinder?

Jeanette

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Removing Banding on YouTube that doesn't appear in After Effects
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 8:58:54 pm

Blog I found comparing the two, not sure if it's still accurate(2014). You should be able to download the re-encoded file from each site and see how much they are compressing the files.

HD quality of YouTube vs Vimeo

Although YouTube supports both 720p and 1080p, but the HD video quality is unacceptable. It is due to YouTube's bitrate is limited to 3Mbps for 720p and 6Mbps for 1080p. If you upload a high bitrate video, YouTube will re-encode for you and the result is very bad. So if you are going to use YouTube for streaming HD video with high bitrate, you must know how to optimise the video before uploading to the site.

Vimeo's bitrate is limited to 10Mbps for 720p and 20Mbps for 1080p. For free user, you can only serve 720p video. So for my 1080p video, Vimeo will re-encode to 720p. But due to its higher maximum bitrate, or may be a better encoding server, the video quality is a lot better than the YouTube one.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]