ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Desaturating VFX graphics/PS layers for color correction/grading on Davinci Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
Desaturating VFX graphics/PS layers for color correction/grading on Davinci Resolve
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:26:57 am

Hypothetically, I'm planning to film something that mimics the look of 1960s/1970s 16mm film, in particular, the graphics/credits. I've chosen the font I wish to use and created my credits as layers in Photoshop.

The problem is, no matter how authentic I make them, the effort crumbles if I decide to apply them AFTER color correction and grading like a few filmmakers do. The digital polish of those graphics ruin the look I'm aiming for. However, I have been toying with the idea of taking a frame of the RAW video into Photoshop, color grade the frame, add my graphics to it to preview the look, and then desaturate & lower their contrast on their own to match the RAW video as close as possible, allowing them to effectively bake themselves into the footage for their eventual grading.

Would this be an effective means of handing VFX or credit animation based on any of your experiences?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Desaturating VFX graphics/PS layers for color correction/grading on Davinci Resolve
on Jan 14, 2016 at 2:31:54 pm

In my experience I have found out that adding any graphics and effects before anything is done to the footage, and matching them to the initial unaltered look, worked best. Work in the same color space and color depth that your RAW footage has, composite the graphics and then have the final grading done.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
Re: Desaturating VFX graphics/PS layers for color correction/grading on Davinci Resolve
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:29:40 pm

Thanks, I'm glad that we're on the same page.

I mainly want to do my effects with PS layers because I don't really know if you can desaturate CG in After Effects. If it's possible, I'd really like to hear about it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:37:56 pm

[Kk Akuoku] "I mainly want to do my effects with PS layers because I don't really know if you can desaturate CG in After Effects. If it's possible, I'd really like to hear about it."

Of course it's possible. You can do nearly anything in Ae on moving images that you can do in Ps with still ones.

The most basic way is the Hue/Saturation effect, but there are many ways you could approach this. You might also look into color effects like Color Finesse (bundled), or Colorista from Red Giant Software.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:29:33 pm

Sorry that this is VERY late, but would that simply entail scaling up the bit amount?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]