ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Turn off auto reloading on footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Griffey
Turn off auto reloading on footage
on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:58:09 pm

Hey all,

Been a forum watcher for a while but came across something I wasn't able to find in a search. So I am rendering a few thousand frames out of After Effects that contains many render element files (32 bit EXRs out of 3ds Max). The problem I am having is incredibly inconsistent frame times out of AE. The other night I was getting 5-10 seconds a frame (about what I expect) but today I am getting 5+ minutes per frame. Some of this could be attributed to network traffic as its a busier time in the studio I work at but I have a feeling it has to do more with the auto reloading of footage. As each frame renders its going through every layer and seeing if there is more footage with each element (currently have a Max render going). Is there a way to disable the auto reload feature. If that's not the issue I would at least like to rule it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Turn off auto reloading on footage
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:20:24 pm

Sorry, but I have NEVER heard the terms "auto load" and "After Effects" mentioned in the same breath. Not in almost 20 years of AE use.

If you're using the latest AE version, I attribute it to the software. It's a mess for many users. Use AE CC 2014 instead -- the newer version's project file will open in it -- and try rendering again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:38:36 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am using CC 2014. I think I may have figured it out.

So for years, After effects auto reloads your footage if it has been updated (you stomp over a piece of footage and AE sees that and reloads without a prompt). For the last few iterations it has an auto loading feature where if your sequence of frames or footage is being added upon (more frames in the sequence show up) AE will continue to find and load that sequence without a manual reload footage click in your bin. Its kind of handy except when you are dealing with lots of 32 bit EXRs or some other large file sequence and it will bog things down as it is constantly searching for and loading any new footage.

I dont have AE on this computer but it looks like the option to turn it off can be found here:

"Go to After Effects > Preferences > Previews… (for Macs) or Edit > Preferences > Previews… (for PCs).

Import…

Under Automatic Footage Reloading, you will find a drop down for Auto Reload. The manual completely fails to tell us how to use this setting. You have two choices, both of which are valid. If you are working in Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, etc., simultaneously, and want to make changes to the footage itself, it will automatically reload and appear in After Effects."

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:45:16 pm

Forgot to include the last bit on auto reloading

"Choose ‘Non-Sequence Footage’ (default value) if you want all footage to load, except image sequences.
Choose ‘All Footage Types’ if you also want image sequences to automatically load when changed."

So in my case I guess I want to turn it on Non-Sequence Footage...I'll give it a shot later today and see if it works

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:58:12 pm

Did I mention I've always used AE locally with local footage? No network ever except at delivery time? Probably not......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
on Jan 14, 2016 at 8:54:22 pm

Certainly ideal to work that way...unfortunately, I don't have that option. Or rather I would have to copy 30 GBs of frames over to my local drive every time they rendered. So it's an option just not a practical one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]