ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Applying effects to 3d eps layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel YorkApplying effects to 3d eps layers
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:09:59 pm

I am having an issue where applying an effect to a 3d layer is causing it to overlap another 3d layer incorrectly. The layer in front rotates backward towards the layer behind it in Z space. When it gets closer it seems to start overlapping until it is completely covered by the layer behind it. However, it is still 2 pixels in front of it.

The project involves a 3d book made out of eps files of each page. I built the book so that I can rotate the pages using nulls and each page is then parented to a null that moves the book as a whole.

Here are images of 3 frames leading up to the book being completely open. The final frame shows the front cover pointing in the opposite direction.

The problem seems to be happening when I have an effect applied to the inside page (bevel alpha, or any effect for that matter). From my understanding, the effect shouldn't affect the layers order and it doesn't seem to be. Instead it's acting like they are shifting in Z space. However, when the book is open and the cover is showing, the inside page is still in front of it in Z space by the 2 pixels. When I remove the effect or turn of continuously rasterize, the problem goes away.

I am using a camera for certain parts to fly around the inside and focus on certain parts of each page. Because of this I need to have continuously rasterize on to compensate for moving in closer.

Previous to this I was having issues with adjustment layers interfering with the order in Z space. I have read as much as I can find on this topic but am still unsure why this is happening.

Thanks in advance for any help. If I'm leaving out information then let me know and I will get it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved