ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Updating AI file in AE and reloading footage should work?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff HorowitzUpdating AI file in AE and reloading footage should work?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:35:35 pm

So, I'm making a tutorial video for a company, and here are the steps I've taken:

1 I've created characters in AI
2 I've imported the AI file into AE
3 I have a bunch of AI files of different characters both animated and precomped etc...
4 The company wants me to revise some aspects of the characters (change the clothes they're wearing)
5 I open the original AI file of the character, change some graphics, and save it. (At this point I'm assuming that since I'm revising and saving the original AI file, the same file in AE will update accordingly.)

6 Fortunately, when I go into AE the character updates as I hoped. (Sometimes I have to locate the AI file in the Project Panel and reload the footage for it to work)
7 Unfortunately in another instance, when I go into AE the character doesn't update and the original image still shows up. However, it does update in the other precomps, plus the Project Panel shows that the file is in fact the updated one. hmmm?

8 So the file is in fact updated because it shows up in the Project Panel, the file is updated because it reloaded in to all the other precomps, but the original file some how still shows up in one of the comps. It makes no sense because everything else updated. I even tried purging memory, quitting both AI and AE, but for whatever reason the original file still shows up even though the file itself is updated.

Any thoughts? If I figure it out, I'll provide an update.

Regards, JH

JAH

Return to posts index

Jeff HorowitzRe: Updating AI file in AE and reloading footage should work?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:52:21 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Horowitz on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:55:35 pm

"SOLUTION" UPDATE:

There isn't a real solution, but I did end up resolving the issue.

I ended up opening the original AI file and clicking save a bunch of times (out of sheer frustration)

Then I went back into AE and (still out of sheer frustration) deleted the file, command+z, to undo the delete because I'm trying anything at this point, reloaded the footage, and VOILA it just worked. I think AE can be glitchy sometimes especially when files are being updated from one program to another.

If this happens to anyone else let me know if you find a solution, or if you have any advice or tips on the matter.

JAH

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Updating AI file in AE and reloading footage should work?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:52:46 pm

[Jeff Horowitz] "I even tried purging memory"

Did you purge memory AND empty the disk cache? If not, Ae might be reloading the stale cache images from disk.

Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeff HorowitzRe: Updating AI file in AE and reloading footage should work?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 2:00:45 pm

Yea, I purged all memory and image cache, but it didn't do anything at the time.

JAH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]