ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

'Blend' 3D object with/into scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peo Fogelstrom'Blend' 3D object with/into scene
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:24:23 pm
Last Edited By Peo Fogelstrom on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:25:46 pm

Got an upcoming event and got in head that I wanted a gear rotating at the edges of the screen during intermissions. Off I went and extruded a mask for Element 3D and got my gear up and turning.

However it looks quite awful and malplaced... I've searched around for tips and tricks and tried with different lighting, glossiness, reflectivity but still looks so shiny and malplaced.

The gear is a complete standalone project and using a green background and and chroma key out it during the stream.

Any and all tips welcome. Would love for it to look a bit better when going live.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 'Blend' 3D object with/into scene
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:15:48 am

This is a matter of persknal taste. If you don't like the way it looks, change it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peo FogelstromRe: 'Blend' 3D object with/into scene
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:11:10 am

Hi Dave,

Indeed you are right. But I was hoping someone would provide some insight on how I would accomplish to at least get it a bit less malplaced. As I already stated I've tried fidling around with the settings in E3D, curves, color corrections but I still end up with this cartoony gear.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 'Blend' 3D object with/into scene
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:42:20 am

Add some reflective properties to the gear - using a animated environment to give moving reflections to the gear may help. I would use some beveling on the edges of the gear as well. A simple thing to try is to add a rotating Light Sweep. Animating the lights and choosing a more dramatic light setup in E3D may also help.
These are a few ideas, but as Dave said, you have to figure out what you're after. Find some examples of "looks"that you like, decide on one and post it here and then we can be more specific in how to achieve that look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved