ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Matrix Code effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul FishermanMatrix Code effect?
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:02:40 pm

So I was wondering if there was a way to create a matrix code running through, say a room or a person as seen in the movie. Would you mask the object out and invert it or use a trackmat with the code footage? How exactly would you go about this? Something like this:

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:38:12 pm

The simple approach would be to construct the room from matrix footage layers turned 3D.

For the people it would be simplest to key them out (shoot them on green screen) and use the key as track matte. That's not going to be very 3D, but you could use a blurred copy of the key as a displacement map to give it some apparency of 3D. Or two displaced layers for front and back sides if you want the people "see-through".

Other details like those hanging wires in your sample image add to the 3D effect.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:51:14 am

Depending on the complexity of your shot you can try to create depth mattes for the objects and the use FreeForm Pro to displace running matrix codes in 3d space.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul FishermanRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 8:55:20 pm

Well thanks. So I would have to re construct my room in 3D? Or just a normal room? I use Cinema 4D, and even though I can make a room, I don't think I can recreate the entire room Im working with.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 14, 2016 at 9:05:52 pm

You would have to get it roughly right. Then you could use a displacement map to get it to look a little more tied to it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 16, 2016 at 2:05:03 am

Hmm. Okay, I'll see what I can do with my footage. If the scene was to be shot only for a second or two, could I get away with a still image of the footage and mask individual objects out and trackmat them?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 18, 2016 at 1:46:48 pm

You need to create a displacement map that is close to the objects in the room but not perfect- you can use a bunch of feathered masks on solids that are various shades of gray. Mocha - planar tracking - is a great tool for that.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: Matrix Code effect?
by on Jan 18, 2016 at 2:22:50 pm

Just in case you also need to create some custom Matrix Style Code Footage...

check out Red Giants "Text Anarchy" If I remember correctly they got something in there to do exactly that.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2016 at 9:14:17 pm

Hey thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to check out Red Giant's Text Anarchy, as I own it but didn't use it yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]