ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Illustrator "Convert to Editable Text" persistant bug

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Navarro ParkerIllustrator "Convert to Editable Text" persistant bug
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:21:56 am

I have a project where a graphics sequence has been composed in Illustrator. I usually collect all the text to one layer and export it to Photoshop using Illustrator's "Preserve Text Editability" option on. I then import that PSD into AE where I can run the Convert to Editable Text command to turn it into native live AE type.

And normally, it works flawlessly... EXCEPT if your text is rotated.

In Illustrator, rotate your text 90°, -90°, or 180° and export to PSD. Open the PSD in Photoshop and it will look identical to the Illustrator text.

But once you bring that PSD into AE and try to "Convert to Editable Text", you get very weird results. 90° text ends up a vertical stack of letters -- each character rotated 90° out of place. And 180° rotated text has been repositioned significantly.

Now if I create the text in Photoshop, rotate it and then import that PSD, it'll Convert to Editable Text just fine. There's something about using both Illustrator and Photoshop that makes the problem appear when AE runs the command.

This problem has persisted for many versions (including CC2015). I’d love to know if anyone else has run into this problem, or if other users can duplicate the issue.

I would really like to hear some suggestions how to fix. Keep in mind that I'm dealing with hundreds of layers and text objects. So copy and pasting text from Illustrator to AE would work, but would take eons to re-paste each chunk of text back into AE.

(Naturally, I think AE should just have a "Convert to Editable Text for Illustrator layers" to avoid the Photoshop in-between stage. But while I've requested that feature for many years, it has not materialized.)

Return to posts index

Timothy LitostanskyRe: Illustrator "Convert to Editable Text" persistant bug
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:14:47 pm

I just ran into this same issue. Did you, or anyone, ever find a work around? I mad A LOT of type in AI, and I would rather not have to recreate it.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved