ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composition / save frame as

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve HardieComposition / save frame as
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 6:58:59 pm

Using composition / save frame as, I find that when i then import the resulting still image back into the comp to use as a still, the scale/position of it does not match the original frame that was grabbed(saved). While I can fiddle around and rescale/reposition to match the original, it is a bit random and when cut against the original does not exactly match.
While I believe the saved image is correct as a 2D file, when brought back into the comp and made 3D is where the mismatch occurs as the saved image is taken from a 2D frame. Specifically, this is a still frame taken from a Trapcode Particular sequence (which has to remain as a 2D in the comp)or there is a yellow warning triangle. If I "save image" when the trapcode layer is in 3D mode the resulting image is still wrong size (too small) if it saved normally it comes in too big. Not sure if there is a way to keep it accurate?

the image below shows the sizing issues. The middle size is the correct original frame that was copied. The bigger size is the frame saved and reimported with 3D enabled after import and the smaller one is the reimported image after it was captured with the orignal trapcode layer in 3D (as opposed to the correct 2D mode)

AE CS 5.5 win 10

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 10:52:28 pm

That command saves in the size of the comp. What is YOUR comp size? That's something we don't know.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve HardieRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 12:19:14 am

1920 x 1080
Assumed issue would be relative to any frame size. Original comp is 1920 x 1080 and saved frame is comp size 1920 x 1080 the reimported frame is 1920 x 1080 but it's relative size changes when it is made to a 3d layer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 2:47:01 am

Well, yeah. You've got a Z axis to deal with.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:12:04 am

Correct...and all layers are at 0 on z axis, except for the trapcode z axis which is greyed out (as it performs in its own 3D space on a 2D layer).

The only other workaround is to disable the camera (cancels the 3rd axix), but then the image on the layer i am trying to copy is is mostly off the screen. I then need to center it and then make the "saved frame". Again a number of manual adjustments that then need to be undone.

I guess I thought there might be something more obvious that I was overlooking?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:11:36 pm

Why are you turning it into a 3D layer?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:22:51 pm

It is an element in a sequence with a camera move.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:08:35 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jan 12, 2016 at 1:11:30 pm

Particular already follows the comp camera as a 2D layer with the effect applied. Turning the layer into 3D results in "double" 3D transformation, your Particular effect is already 3D as the Particular camera matches the comp camera, and then you add another 3D transformation with the comp camera for the layer if you turn it to 3D. That second 3D transformation is extra, unnecessary and will actually result in the effect NOT following the camera. You end up moving the Particular effect twice as much as the camera while doing a 3D to 2D to 3D conversion in between.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2016 at 5:03:33 pm

I think I wasn't too clear. I am not turning the Particular layer into a 3d layer (it is already 3D in its own way). It is the resulting still frame that I am taking from the particular layer that I am turning into a 3D layer when that still frame is imported back into the comp so that it operates and matches the particular layer from which it was taken.

As noted above, the only reliable solution that I can do with some consistency is to temporarily disable the camera from the comp (which displaces the particular image off axis) and then to centre that by matching the co-ordinates, then save the frame. I then have to reposition the layer back to its original position, re-enebale the camera, and then when that still frame is brought back in and made 3D it will match the same position and scale of the original.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 12, 2016 at 6:11:56 pm

Are you perhaps looking at some view other than Active Camera?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2016 at 6:20:45 pm

No. only using the one camera

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Composition / save frame as
by on Jan 13, 2016 at 12:23:53 am

Yes, but if your viewer is set to an orthographic or custom view, the render (from the active camera) may not match the view.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:08:41 am

Yes that is part of the issue; as I mentioned previously, I would have to turn the active camera off to get an accurate grab of the frame I need, but the frame (or the contents on it) are then all over the place which requires bringing the contents back into the frame by repositioning, then taking the still frame and then undoing those changes to revert all back to how things were. While I previously mentioned this I was not sure if that was "the" way to go or if I was missing something?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:37:09 am

Oh, I see. You want to freeze the Particular layer at one point and have it continue from that point on as a 2D layer in 3D space.

It would only match up if the 3D camera was in the same relation to the 3D plane as when the camera was created. Hence, if you have a point in the animation where the camera is in its original position, you could parent the layer to the camera there, move to the "cut" position and unparent it. Or, if no such point in time exists, you could create a new camera with same settings, parent the 3D plane to it and then move the new camera to the "cut" position coordinates or your current camera and unparent the layer and delete the extra camera. Per my logic that would do it.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:14:34 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on this. There do seem to be a number of "workarounds" to this issue, although maybe they should not be classified as workarounds. My original post was working under the assumption that I was doing something wrong, when in fact there is no "right" way, but different ways of getting to a solution.

As I mentioned before, the method I adopted was to uncheck (disable) the active camera, which will then create an "ortho view", I then manually reposition the image by matching the position and anchor point values ( this brings the image to center of the comp ( as otherwise it is randomly at the edge of frame) Once it's in this position I can then "save frame as" and get the still. By then undoing the position change and reverting to the camera view, the 2d still that comes back in when checked as a 3D layer, aligns perfectly. Any other way seems to bring the 2D still back in as either too big or too small, which requires repositioning and resizing but seemingly by arbitrary measures whereas the other way seems to produce an accurate match.

The reason for this, as you note, is so that once trapcode has produced the lines I need, it is more efficient to replace the constant processing required by trapcode with a still so the continuing animation is more efficient. I also noticed that with the fine detail on these lines that the still image captured looks better (matches more closely) when saved as an RGB (without alpha) and brought in with a blending mode, as the prematted alpha version looks totally different.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]