ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drop Shadow on Paint Effect in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pat banahanDrop Shadow on Paint Effect in After Effects
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:40:26 pm

I've looked EVERYWHERE for this - found something very close but I don't think it answered my question. I even signed up just for this so hopefully someone can help haha. I'm working on a video and need to apply a drop shadow to the paint effect to make it look more realistic. The black outline makes the paint kind of pop out and look 3D. I know this is easy to do in photoshop however animating in PS is a lot harder work flow than AE. So does anyone out there have an answer to have to do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drop Shadow on Paint Effect in After Effects
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:41:33 pm

Think a different way. Don't use Paint.

HUH?

Yeah! Make a SOLID at the size of your choice. Use the pen tool to make a mask path on it. If you need to see layers underneath, reduce the solid's opacity.

When you're done, put opacity back to 100. Now apply the Stroke effect. Mess with the controls to put the stroke over transparent. Now it's time to apply the Drop Shadow effect. Tweak it until you like it.

Now, if you want to make a little fake three-dimensionality to the stroke, you can! Put the Bevel Alpha effect above Drop Shadow on the effects stack and tweak away.

That oughta do it for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

pat banahanRe: Drop Shadow on Paint Effect in After Effects
by on Jan 10, 2016 at 4:50:40 am

I figured it out ! thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]