ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Invisible smoke transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris HerzogInvisible smoke transition
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 12:38:19 pm

Hello all,

First of all apologies for the question, I'm still a but of a beginner at AE. I'm trying to create a text reveal transition with a smoke effect (oh which there are plenty of tutorials) much like this one:

But to be contrary I'm trying to have the smoke 'Invisible' so that the shape of it moves across the text but without actually seeing the smoke but you still get the reveal from behind it of the text. Think black smoke on a black background revealing white text.
I'm not sure if this is one of those easy things I'm simply missing or I'm asking something very difficult...

Either way many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Invisible smoke transition
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 4:25:18 pm

Very easy. Place the smoke in a precomp. Create a white solid(cntl+y). Add a the effect transition > linear reveal to the white solid(you could also animate a mask here), if the smoke is moving like in your link above, set the wipe angle to -90. Now, move foward in time until the smoke appears and adjust the transition completion to be be a little behind front edge of the smoke and set a keyframe. Move forward to when the smoke has moved completely across the screen and set the transition completion to follow the leading edge of the smoke. If the smoke doesn't move at a steady speed you may need to add keyframes to adjust the transition. Lastly, adjust the feather of your wipe effect.

Take this precomp and drop it in your main comp over the item you would like to reveal. Set the item's track matte(F4 if mattes are not visible) to luma matte, and you should now have a smoke shape wipe without the smoke.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Invisible smoke transition
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 5:41:25 pm

John's description is fantastic. You may want to add a curves adjustment to go along with the white solid that brightens your smoke up so it blends into the white solid a little better. Use the same linear reveal or mask.

If you wanted to add a little displacement, turbulent displace on a masked adjustment layer won't work because you don't have anything to cover it up like the tutorial you posted (try it and you'll see why). Make a fractal noise layer (multiple ones with Red, Blue, and Green tint effects and Screen transfer mode looks better for this) and precompose it (them). In the precomp, animate a feathered mask across the same as John described the white solid. Then use that precomp as a displacement map on your text and it should give it just a little displacement as it animates on. Remember the displacement map goes on your text and not the precomp.

Return to posts index

Boris HerzogRe: Invisible smoke transition
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 11:00:06 am

Will give it a try Chris, thanks for the input :)

Return to posts index

Boris HerzogRe: Invisible smoke transition
by on Jan 11, 2016 at 10:58:54 am

Hi John

Just spent a while fiddling and it works great, thanks very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved