COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
iMac: Video Preview for .mov and .mp4
on Jan 8, 2016 at 12:16:26 am

Hi

thanks for reading.
I am on a mac mavericks

when i moved to mavericks the .mov icons in many cases, didnt show the movie image, just showed qt icon logo, and not showing the movie in quick view
is it like that in El Capitan? No quick view for .mov or mp4?

Is there anyway to fix this so one does see the movie preview in the icon (icons is an image, not just the logo)
Thanks so much

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: iMac: Video Preview for .mov and .mp4
on Jan 8, 2016 at 11:29:08 am

[Hope Holmesby] "when i moved to mavericks the .mov icons in many cases, didnt show the movie image, just showed qt icon logo, and not showing the movie in quick view. is it like that in El Capitan? No quick view for .mov or mp4?"

Check out this thread where I go into a little detail on what's happening here:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1051119

[Hope Holmesby] "Is there anyway to fix this so one does see the movie preview in the icon (icons is an image, not just the logo)? Thanks so much"

There are a couple of open-source QuickLooks plugins which add icon support. I haven't tried these, but they may help you:

https://github.com/lov/QLVJ
https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Jan 8, 2016 at 10:01:56 pm

Walter,

Thank you very much for this.

1. I will check out the icon restore image links you gave.

I thot there must be something like this.

You dont have this issue as all your codecs are ok, so you never needed to use these quickview options? You can see the images of all your icons for movies?

2. So you recommend Apple ProRes 4444. I have used that when i need transparency in an animation render, as it seems to create a file size smaller than the animation codec.

Normally we use photojpeg, which does show a nice image icon etc. However lately, for youtube have been using the mp4 codec.

3. I do have some old artbeats movies that will convert when opening, but the conversion size goes from 4mb to 72mb....wow

4. Is it true that in el capitan that even mp4 is not quick viewed or an image for the icon?....but then one could use this trick you mention?

What do you think?
Appreciate...

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 8, 2016 at 10:11:07 pm

[Hope Holmesby] "You dont have this issue as all your codecs are ok, so you never needed to use these quickview options? You can see the images of all your icons for movies?"

Though we have a lot of Macs in the shop, I'm personally mainly on PCs now. I do miss QuickLook, but I've gotten used to not having it. Even on the Mac side, I generally have Finder in list mode, and since we have a pretty strict naming convention, I can always navigate by name rather than by icon.

[Hope Holmesby] "2. So you recommend Apple ProRes 4444. I have used that when i need transparency in an animation render, as it seems to create a file size smaller than the animation codec."

The compression efficiency depends on the content. Things with large areas of flat color are smaller with animation codec than ProRes 4444.

[Hope Holmesby] "3. I do have some old artbeats movies that will convert when opening, but the conversion size goes from 4mb to 72mb....wow"

If you open them with QuickTime Player 7, the conversion will not occur. It's only QuickTime Player X that does this.

[Hope Holmesby] "
4. Is it true that in el capitan that even mp4 is not quick viewed or an image for the icon?....but then one could use this trick you mention?"

H.264/MP4 is supposed to be supported by AV Foundation, so I'm surprised to hear that this would happen, but again, I'm not yet running El Capitan so I cannot say for sure. Sorry!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Jan 8, 2016 at 10:47:19 pm
Last Edited By Hope Holmesby on Jan 8, 2016 at 10:52:17 pm

Hi Walter....

= What a dear...thanks for all this info....

= I am curious what naming convention you all use for this?
As a graphic artist, designer i am pretty visually oriented....LOL

= [Walter Soyka] "H.264/MP4 is supposed to be supported by AV Foundation, so I'm surprised to hear that this would happen, but again, I'm not yet running El Capitan so I cannot say for sure. Sorry!"

Ok, so mp4 that is the container for h.264 is suppose to be ok, but mp4 could be a container for other codecs....I guess.

your man above from links you give writes:

QuickLook struggles with .mp4 files. In particular, QuickLook on recent versions of OSX cannot preview a .mp4 file containing H.265-encoded video. Rename your .mp4 files as .m4v, or use another container for H.265 content - e.g. Matroska.
Good to know...

On Mavericks, i dont have this problem w mp4

= In case anyone else wants to know this:

The links you kindly give above are for,
first link: Mac OS 10.10, and 10.11 and the
2nd link is for os 10.9

i went to the bottom of the page for the 2nd link and choose download, then
I was on this page:

https://github.com/Marginal/QLVideo/releases/tag/rel-184

I downloaded and installed this only (just dbl clicked the yellow install box that downloaded, didnt make a folder or go to the library like he mentions...it all just worked when installed):
QLVideo_184.pkg

as soon as installed, the icons showed...hurray.

now i can see the qt icons as images instead of just qt....
GREAT. FANTASTIC.!!!

it is not showing the real quick view and then the movie plays...but this is great....

Thanks again...so appreciate...
btw, i am in NY too...but upstate....
i see you do wide screen events...very very cool...and presentation design. Sounds really fun.

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2016 at 4:12:48 pm

[Hope Holmesby] "I am curious what naming convention you all use for this? As a graphic artist, designer i am pretty visually oriented....LOL"

I am, too -- but the bigger the project gets, the harder it becomes for me to find things visually. I've got a folder structure that's pretty well-tuned to our workflow, and I lean on that pretty heavily to help me sort through lots of files quickly. Each project gets a folder; within each project, we have subfolders for major deliverables. Each deliverable has a common folder structure that separates assets by type, project files, review outputs, and deliveries.

That common folder structure is the most important bit in my mind. No matter what I'm working on, or whether I bounce between deliverables or projects, everything is always filed the same way.

I think it's worth it for anyone to spend a little time thinking about how they like to work and building a folder structure that supports their approach.

[Hope Holmesby] "btw, i am in NY too...but upstate.... i see you do wide screen events...very very cool...and presentation design. Sounds really fun."

Nice, where about?

I'm looking to expand our network of freelancer graphic and motion designers -- if you or anybody else reading is interested, drop me a line sometime at jobs at keenlive dot com.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:52:32 am

Where upstate? I grew up just outside of Syracuse -- Liverpool, to be precise.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]