ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recreating Splash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer TycksenRecreating Splash
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 6:18:53 pm

I am wanting to recreate this little splash that appears behind this text. I had no trouble figuring out the circle using a shape layer with a stroke and a blur on it. But the little lines are a bit more elusive to me. What would be the best way to create these? Would a particle generator be best? If so, I would need help figuring out the settings.

Here's a link:

Return to posts index

Chris HollandRe: Recreating Splash
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 7:48:24 pm

One way to do it is to make a rectangle shape that is a little longer then you want the smaller lines to move. Use the repeater and and then transform the repeater rotation till you get a full circle of lines

At this point you should see a bunch of lines rotated around a center point. You don't want to do anything else to shape layer 1

Then make a circle shape and turn off the fill and add some stroke. The bigger the stroke the longer the lines will be as they move from the center to the outside. Animate the scale from 0-100 and use it as a matte so just stop the scaling wherever you want it to end . To get the lines to get smaller at the end you'll have to animate the stroke width about halfway through the scale animation. I also added a Fast blur and animated that half way through as well as fading out the entire circle shape layer 2 frames before it stops moving.

I am not great at explaining what I did so this may make no sense whatsoever.

Lastly if you have a few bucks you can use AESweets to do something very similar with there explosions pack.

Chris Holland

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Recreating Splash
by on Jan 8, 2016 at 3:07:43 pm

with Chris's shape layer solution. It may seem a little tricky at first, but once you understand shape layers, you'll wonder how you ever got by without them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved