ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

no preview rendering between 2 keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas Ryswyk, van
no preview rendering between 2 keyframes
on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:40:53 pm

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and to after effects. I have tried to look up my question in the several FAQ's, but to no avail. So here goes:

I am working on a basic animation with some text. With 'create masks from text' and the stroke effect I made a write on effect with two keyframe of the start% (0% and 100%). So far so good.

The problem is with rendering the preview. As soon as i set the second keyframe the green renderbar starts only after the second keyframe. If I start the preview on the first keyframe it plays not realtime. During this playing it renders the missing part and playing resumes without problems after that. But as soon as I change something in the comp, it starts rendering again after the second keyframe.

The not realtime playing and rendering is only between keyframes. Every other part of the comp it seems to render just fine and with good speed, so I don't think it is the setup of my laptop (2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3).

Anybody else who had this problem?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: no preview rendering between 2 keyframes
on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:21:15 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're running AE CC 2015, because almost everyone has problems with it. This particular version was released in the midst of a massive re-write of the basic, fundamental code, something that should have been done years ago. But it left many things broken.

Do yourself a favor -- don't use it. Download and use AE CC 2014 instead. You'll probably be happier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: no preview rendering between 2 keyframes
on Jan 7, 2016 at 7:36:25 pm

[Bas Ryswyk, van] "The not realtime playing and rendering is only between keyframes. Every other part of the comp it seems to render just fine and with good speed, so I don't think it is the setup of my laptop (2,9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3)."

Ae is not realtime. If something is not yet rendered and cached in RAM (green line over the section of the timeline), it may not play in real-time.

Changing either the first or last keyframe requires Ae to re-render all the frames in-between; since there's no change after the last keyframe, that section may not require a re-render.

Since you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Also, the preview system changed quite a lot in 13.5 (Ae CC 2015) versus previous versions.

Start here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/previews-in-after-effects-cc-20...

Then read about the 13.6 tweaks here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/09/whats-new-and-changed-in-the-up...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]