ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't export DNxHR with alpha channel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad GilmourCan't export DNxHR with alpha channel
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:52:08 pm

I'm using Windows 7 AE 2015.1 and have the AvidCodecsLE_2.7.1_Win release installed.

I can export quicktime files using the DNxHR codec, and I can import and read them fine in AE however I can't ever get AE to export a quicktime DNxHR file with an alpha channel.

Even if I export an empty composition using every combination of Avid DNxHR settings (RGB, 709, Alpha compressed, Alpha Uncompressed, etc.) the file will be exported with no Alpha information and I can verify that in AE, and quicktime. The RGB information does export correctly however.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can't export DNxHR with alpha channel
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 12:18:54 am

I haven't had the occasion to use DnxHR yet, but if DnxHD is any indication, there will be a ton of specific codecs to use. Is it possible you simply haven't chosen the proper one?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad GilmourRe: Can't export DNxHR with alpha channel
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:30:57 am

Perhaps I'm picking the wrong export options, but I am able to get an alpha channel with DNxHD, the only problem with DNxHD is that it's limited to 1920x1080. When I try to use similar settings, or any settings, with DNxHR I can't export any alpha channel info.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Can't export DNxHR with alpha channel
by on Jan 7, 2016 at 7:24:49 am

I managed to export DNxHR with an alpha channel. I did it with the latest 2.7.1. Quicktime codec. You'll need to enable the alpha in the codec settings under format options. You'll also need to choose RGB+alpha in the video output - channels drop down in AE output module settings.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:27:33 pm
Last Edited By Chad Gilmour on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:35:40 pm

Thanks Tero, were you exporting on a Mac or a Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer?

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Can't export DNxHR with alpha channel
by on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:02:13 am

I am having the same problem. downloaded the latest 2.7.1 codec.
windows 7 Ae 10.3.8
I did check alpha in the format options.
both compressed and uncompressed and also RGB+ALPHA in output module and to no avail.
can someone explain how to solve this?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:26:14 am

here is a screen recording. I am doing everything right:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5wyUt17-tu2c19DaGFPU0kyeWs&export=download

looking for a D.I with Alpha and low size that doesn't take years to render...
Png gives me very small file size but impossible render for many files/long clips
Animation is fast but very large files.

guess I am down to Animation.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2016 at 4:49:16 pm

I have the same problem still... Here's my workaround:
For 1080p projects and below, I use DNxHD220+Alpha, that seems to work for me at the moment. For everything bigger, or for odd sizes I will render using MagicYUVA (http://www.magicyuv.com/) it's not a 10bit codec, but I think it works pretty good, and I think it's pretty fast.

Obviously if my render doesn't require an alpha channel then I'll use DNxHR/HD or even UncompressedYUV 10bit and then convert to ProRes with FFMPEG.

Side note, my testing shows that you can not use FFMPEG on windows to convert any file with an alpha channel to a prores4444 quicktime file with an alpha channel, it works on mac though.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2016 at 11:40:55 pm

Thank you Chad, I will try MagicYuva

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2016 at 12:18:14 am

Installed it. too many options it's kind of difficult to know what to pick. also gave me error. I usually stay away from Avi. force of habit I guess.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2016 at 1:11:21 am

I don't use .avi either, magicyuv codecs work for QuickTime .movs too. You should be able to select magic yuva 444 under QuickTime codecs. That should allow you to render an uncompressed QuickTime file with an alpha channel.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2016 at 1:26:50 am

for some reason it's not under format options in AE 13.8 but in 13.7 it is. will give it a try. thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]