ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with color spaces

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin PedrazaProblem with color spaces
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:09:30 pm

Hl! I've been struggling with something, and I'm about to out of my mind.

I've received some footage, which has a HDTV (Rec 709) Y'Cb'Cr profile. I have to replicate some graphic elements in there, and send them back to my buddy who is editing in FCP7. with the same Rec 709 footage.

Here's the deal. Whenever I pick a color from the graphics in the sent footage, I see it just fine, colors match, I render to an uncompressed .mov, and send it to him, and the colors don't match. Is there a workflow I'm missing for this sort of color space? I'm completely lost. I'm working in the default AE color space, i've tried a few of the others, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

As a sort of diagnostic, i asked him to export a single frame from final cut, so i can re-export it from AE without compression, to see if the color changed, and of course, the problem persists. What's the correct workflow for working with this footage?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Problem with color spaces
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:42:33 pm

FCP7 may incorrectly guess gamma for RGB video (like the Animation codec). You can correct this easily in FCP7. Import the clip into FCP7. Select the clip, then hit Cmd+9 to open Item Properties. Right-click the gamma value (normally set to Source) and set it to 2.2.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Martin PedrazaRe: Problem with color spaces
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:49:56 pm

You are my hero! Huge thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved