ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Which computer to buy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tiago velosoWhich computer to buy
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 5:39:30 pm

Hello. I have to buy a new computer. My old Mac mini is not working quickly with After Effects (10 years old!!!).
I want to buy a good and cheap laptop. But I don't know what to choose (maximum 1000 euros).
ACER V3-575G-72YJ (Intel Core i7-6500U Turbo 3.1 GHz / 16 GB ram / 1 TB / NVÍDIA GeForce 940M 4GB) or ASUS K501UX-DM023T (Core i7-6500U / 8 GB ram / 1 TB / NVIDEA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB)

what do you think?

What are the minimums to a good and cheap laptop? i7... GeForce... ram... asus? Hp? Acer? Toshiba?

Thank you a loy

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Which computer to buy
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 8:18:31 pm

Your CPU and RAM are the most important. I'd recommend buying finding the best combo of those that you can. Don't get something with a crappy graphics card and keep it Nvidia. Go with at least 1GB or 2GB GPU. You'll probably want something with at least a decent sized hard drive so you don't have to work with footage directly on an external hard drive. An SSD would be nice, but you may have trouble finding a good one at that price point and it's not too big of a deal. SSD's speed up opening programs and some things in the program like searching effects and opening add-ons or scripts, but most of the time it doesn't actually speed up your workflow. If you only get an SSD, you'll probably have to put all your footage on external hard drives and have them plugged in all the time to work, which isn't too bad if you don't move a lot, so it's something to consider. I recommend an SSD plus a large HDD, but if you can't find that, just get a big HDD.

I'll bullet point it for you. But don't ignore the paragraph above.
CPU: Best you can get. Primary Concern.
RAM: Best you can get. Secondary Concern. Minimum 8GB, Strongly recommend 16GB.
GPU: Minimum Nvidia something.
Storage: Minimum 500GB HDD.
Screen: Minimum 1920x1080.

Of the two you've got listed there, the one with 16GB of RAM is better, the difference in GPU won't make too much difference, but the RAM will.

Brands? Ask 100 people and you'll get 105 different answers. Just find the one that gets you the best hardware for the best price and keep good care of it. Read reviews on the laptops and see what people say. Look for things like build quality in the reviews, since your Mac Mini lasted you 10 years, I imagine you'll want something that will last that long again, so pay attention to that. And you'll probably want to get insurance on it if you're using this for work, in the unlikely event your computer dies, you'll regret not having it.

Keep backups of everything. Keep backups of everything. Keep backups of everything.

Do you need a laptop? Consider getting a desktop?

Return to posts index

Evan WorshamRe: Which computer to buy
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:16:04 pm

This company will help. They have a good selction and they build it for you. I used them and had zero complaints:

And this website will help you decide how to get the most bang for your buck:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved