ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating groups in 'Contents' under a shape layer created from a vector file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seowon Bang
Animating groups in 'Contents' under a shape layer created from a vector file
on Jan 4, 2016 at 6:21:39 pm

Hi there,

A total noob here. I've imported an .ai file into After Effects and turned it into a shape layer, containing 105 groups. See screenshot:

What I want to achieve is relatively simple, for one group (=one line) to appear after one another. I've I feel like there should be an easy way to achieve this... I've tried searching on the web but I must be not putting in the right keywords.

Appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Animating groups in 'Contents' under a shape layer created from a vector file
on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:54:55 pm

One of the relatively simple way to do this is to add a Trim Paths to the Contents. Click on the Contents, from the"Add" menu (little triangle right next to the Contents) select "Trim Paths". Select "Trim multiple paths individually" option. now you can animate the Start Value from 100 to 0 and the shapes will draw one after another in the sequence they appear under Contents. You can rearrange shapes by dragging them in the list.

You can control where the individual shapes start drawing by setting the first vertex (anchor point). You can do this by selecting the path under the Shape, then selecting the desired vertex with the direct selection tool (arrow) right-clicking on it and selecting: Mask and Shape Path > Set First Vertex.

Return to posts index

Seowon Bang
Re: Animating groups in 'Contents' under a shape layer created from a vector file
on Jan 4, 2016 at 9:09:06 pm

I've added the Trim Paths and it did exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much Kalle for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]