ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan WorshamMasking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 5:49:21 pm

Hey guys,

I need to mask out parts of some video footage. I have 4k footage a person and I want to overlay shots of crowds within him. However, I cant key the person out because it was shot in colored light, so the person I want to mask is the same color as the background. Ive tried, it only takes out half of the person, and its not a clean line.

Are the other techniques that could help me mask out the figure so I can add footage within the silhouette?

Thanks

Evan

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 6:07:42 pm

Rotoscoping. Your title said no rotoscoping, but your post didn't mention why you can't do that. Keying and rotoscoping are different. Rotoscoping is basically keying manually. It take a lot of time and a lot of patience, but it seems like your only option.

You could try keying in multiple sections. Key the head area, key the torso, etc. might work. You could also try the Roto Brush Tool built in AE. But likely you'll just have to manually rotoscope it.

Return to posts index

Evan WorshamRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:05:04 pm

My boss really wants a process. Rotoscoping would just take too long.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:12:06 pm

Well, I don't know your footage, but it doesn't sound like that's a possibility. If it was shot on a greenscreen to key it, you could reshoot it to get a better key. If you need green lights on the talent, use a bluescreen. Wish I had a better suggestion, but I don't.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:56:25 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jan 4, 2016 at 8:57:46 pm

Perhaps multiple keys? Can you show a still from the footage?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 4, 2016 at 10:28:11 pm

Here's another vote saying you're stuck if you use the footage as currently shot. If the boss wanted this done as a process, the shot should have been planned to be done as a process, and it doesn't appear that it was.

So I guess someone's left with a decision -- will it be a re-shoot on chroma key, or will it be roto work?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 5, 2016 at 11:03:01 am

[Evan Worsham] "My boss really wants a process. Rotoscoping would just take too long."

There's also the possibility of outsourcing the rotoscoping. You'd need to figure out if that would be cheaper than a reshoot.

Return to posts index

Evan WorshamRe: Masking footage without keying or rotoscoping.
by on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:10:59 pm

Guys if anyone was wondering, There is something called a difference Matte and it worked very well. Anything that it doesn't cover I can Rotobrush away very easily. Thanks for all the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]