ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Plexus render lines from two points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peo FogelstromPlexus render lines from two points
by on Dec 30, 2015 at 3:11:31 pm

Hi,

I'm trying my hand at somewhat recreating the BlueRay menu for the movie Prometheus as can be seen here;

I just assumed it's all created with Plexus and what I'm after is the grid background. I've gone at it a few ways but I'm stumped.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Plexus render lines from two points
by on Dec 30, 2015 at 6:20:19 pm

Seems pretty straightforward:

1) Make a spherical mask

2) Use this as a Path Object, about 50 points

3) Replicate about 10-15 copies, set rotation to 0-360 or more (adjust until looks relatively even)

Use point and lines rendered with depth of field.

Animate.

Return to posts index

Peo FogelstromRe: Plexus render lines from two points
by on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:34:41 pm

Thanks for your reply Kalle.

I tried earlier using multiple primitives spheres and rotating but I'm not getting that exakt same triangular/hexagonal pattern.

With Trapcode Form it's easily created with e.g X60/Y30 particles and a 45 degrees Z rotation. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use

But since the primitive in Plexus is created with slices and stacks I'm not getting the same results.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:59:21 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Dec 30, 2015 at 8:06:10 pm

Sorry, I meant circular mask, not spherical. It is a sphere made from rotated circles. I tried this myself and it looked close to the example. Perhaps some more replications, I have just 10 here.

Distant view:

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:30:02 pm

Already looks nice. I will try it out first thing in the morning.

If anyone else happens to drop by I'd just also like to throw out a question about camera movement and Plexus.

If I set any key frames and move the camera nothing shows up in the preview. However when rendering the camera moves through the Plexus noise. Moving around with the camera is difficult as it is but doing it blind having to RAM render in between everything to even know where I end up exactly makes it near impossible to work with.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 11:41:48 am

Alright so the camera issue was resolved, just needed to upgrade AE.

Also how are you creating the sphere with masks alone? Duplicate layer, rotate and transfering all masks to same layer then applying Plexus?

Duplicating the path inside Plexus limits the sperate rotations for the 10 groups.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 4:01:54 pm

Just one circular mask, duplicated in Plexus with the Replication option under Path Object. Duplicates rotated on all axis somewhere around 360 degrees total rotation. Offset (might have been some other term, don't have the program open) set to 0 so they rotate around the same center point.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:38:58 pm

Thanks a bunch Kalle.

Got it down now. However replicating and rotating to get that exakt same pattern seems a bit too time consuming. I'm guessing they are using the technique you just explained but with some specific rotations and replicators to generate that hexagonal pattern.

Probably gonna leave it at a square grid for now instead so I can continue with the rest. I've already been stuck at this for way too long and don't want it to suck the fun out of the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]