ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which Color Space should I be working in?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Carver
Which Color Space should I be working in?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 6:33:32 am

I have some RAW footage shot with a Sony F5 that i will be doing some VFX in AE with. How do I know which color space I should be working in when first setting up my comps and project?

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Which Color Space should I be working in?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 6:10:11 pm

In general you want to work in the color space of the master delivery. Now depending on your post production workflow you may want to work in a wider color space in order to retain as much information as possible. Which color space was recorded your RAW footage? log, Rec. 709?

HTH

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

James Carver
on Dec 29, 2015 at 9:26:42 pm

Hi David I'm not quite sure. I didn't film this particular footage I have. Is there a way I can tell from inside of AE or Premiere?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 29, 2015 at 10:15:36 pm

Try MediaInfo to determine the file attributes.

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Dec 30, 2015 at 5:36:54 pm

In After Effects, select your footage and look for Interpret footage to see if the color space was automatically recognized. If your footage was shot log, you would notice that "flat" look. Otherwise I would find out who ever makes the master what is the delivery requirement.

HTH,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

James Carver
on Dec 31, 2015 at 6:05:02 am

Yea it definitely has that flat look. After clicking on interpret footage and going to the color management tab it says Embedded Profile: HDTV (Rec 709).

Right now my project settings has "None" under color settings/working space. I do see an option that says HDTV Rec 709 should I just select that?

Also can anyone explain what the importance of working in a certain color space is? This is my first time really having to do this or working with RAW footage.

Typically I'm just round tripping from Premiere using footage from one of my own cams or creating a motion graphics project from scratch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]