ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

80s shimmer effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku80s shimmer effect
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 1:40:49 am

I've been looking at the Super Turbo Atomic Ninja Rabbit video on Vimeo and want to try my look at recreating the WTL Productions logo from the beginning. The split-second glint I can obviously learn how to do, but it's those 'mini- glints' along the edges of the letters that I really want to pull off. If, metaphorically, I had a chrome text layer from PS in my comp, how would I go about making that effect?

Here's the link to what I'm talking about (the logo makes up the first 6 seconds):

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 80s shimmer effect
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 2:14:55 pm

For that, I would use a lens flare plugin, like Optical Flares.. With OF(optical flares), you would create a bunch of 3D lights, copy the path of the logo and paste that into the lights position. Then add a couple of keyframes to just use a portion of the movement, keyframe the opacity of the lights up and down. Apply OF to a solid, and tell the solid to use the lights as flare points.

There are also tutorials for creating your own homemade flares too, if you don't want to buy the OF package, but I think it's a pretty great plugin, and apparently so does JJ Abrams.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kk AkuokuRe: 80s shimmer effect
by on Dec 29, 2015 at 6:20:27 pm

Honestly, I think it's better to create my own and play around with it. Regardless, I think it can work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved