ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The Rotobrush Tool is the Devil!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexis LatimoreThe Rotobrush Tool is the Devil!!!
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 4:38:02 pm

So, I have a clip at 24 FPS that i drag into after effects. Just like the tutorials, I duplicate it, drag the second copy on top, double click it to get to the "layer" window to rotoscope, grab the rotobrush and it tells me i need to set the composition frame rate to 23.976. Okay, cool. I set the composition to 23.976 and to my horror, as i grab the rotobrush again, the top layer (duplicate copy of the footage) all of a sudden doesn't line up with the original! (AKA the duplicate footage layer is scooted down a bit) What is this? So, being experimental, I changed the composition back to 24 FPS and the interpret footage as well, and it is still happening!

SOMEONE FRICKIN HELP.
NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW THE ANSWER.
I NEED A GENUIS!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: The Rotobrush Tool is the Devil!!!
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 7:08:08 pm

This isn't genius stuff. This is first day of AE 101 stuff.

Start over from scratch with a new project. Import the clip. Highlight it and make sure the frame rate is 23.976 at the top of the project pane. If it isn't, make sure it's highlighted and go File>Interpret>Main and change the frame rate to 23.976.
Drag the interpreted clip onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project pane. AE makes a comp matching the attributes of the clip.
Now you can drag the clip in or just duplicate the clip already in the comp.

And DO NOT think you can use Rotobrush intuitively. Run tutorials.. and not ones made on YouTube by some high school kid. Go to the Adobe web site to get them.

You just can't use AE intuitively. You have to learn the basics. Blow 'em off at your peril.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alexis LatimoreRe: The Rotobrush Tool is the Devil!!!
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 9:10:23 pm

Pretty much everything you just said, I've already done and explained that in the original post. I did the "interpret footage" thing already. But here is what the problem is, I'm using dynamic link, so it's not as easy as just dropping the clip in after effects, I come from premiere pro and choose "replace with after effects composition" and it opens AE AND creates a comp for me. I then go into the side panel and go to interpret footage" menu. So I guess my question is "Are you then asking me to after going to "interpret footage", to then REOPEN and the drag the footage again?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2015 at 2:08:14 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 28, 2015 at 6:11:20 pm

Is the footage progressive or interlaced? 24P footage doesn't have to be progressive in PP, but it DOES have to be progressive in AE. So you way have to remove 3:2 pulldown in PP and cut in a 23.976 edit timeline for a smooth transition to AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2015 at 6:47:34 pm

How do I accomplish that?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2015 at 7:31:11 pm

Well, if it IS 23.976 -- aka 24p -- I'd probably start over from scratch in PP, removing the pulldown and then cutting in 24P. Then I'd KNOW I would have no further frame rate issues.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2015 at 8:41:01 pm

How do I remove the pull down?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2015 at 10:11:09 pm

Let's assume it's 24p, but shot on camera that records it at 29.97... and probably at 1080, too.

You'll have an easier time of removing the pulldown in Premiere Pro. Or so I'm told -- I cut on Avid and Final Cut Pro. But never fear, you can ask how to remove 3:2 pulldown on the Premiere Pro forum. They may tell you it's not necessary, so you'll have to tell them WHY you need to remove the pulldown -- because you're taking it to AE for Rotobrush.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:02:37 pm

Okay... So I'm guessing you don't know how to do it? I just need help in figuring out how to do it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]