ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patryk WellfareNo Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in
by on Dec 25, 2015 at 5:40:44 pm

Hi guys,
I was finishing my 1 hour long stream video an music album complication. There are 16 tracks of which 14 are .wav files, one MP3 and one mp4 video at the very end. When I try to render it as a video in .wmv (tried mp4 but no audio either. Can't use mp4 though because it would be 15GB worth of a video) it doesn't give me the audio at all, atleast not in the beginning. I didn't render the whole video just the first 10-15 seconds to check if audio is there but it never is or it's just some kind of quiet distortion like you would play just the first second of a song and repeated it.

(What also happend is that it picked a song in the composition and made a perfect 2 second loop for the six minutes)

This goes on for like 6 minutes after that the audio plays normally, that's what I found out as I tried to render the whole seperate 15 tracks into one .wav. When I shift the audio files so that the first track is at the 6th minute and render all of it (even the 6 minutes of silience at the beginning) the whole audio is just fine. But that doesn't work when I try to render it in a video. It just never gives me the audio. Doesn't matter if I put the composition directly to Media Encoder or render it first in AFter Effects itsself as a AVI (which was 396GB by the way) and then put that into a composition with the audio and then into Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in
by on Dec 26, 2015 at 9:32:57 pm

Sadly, your lament contains little useful information. I'll go out on a limb with two recommendations.
First, dont use AE CC2015. Download and use the 2014 version instead.
Second, transcode and use video in a high-quality codec. Youtube downloads aren't high quality. convert them to QT movies in ProRes 422, Animation or PNG Codecs.
Okay, there's a third -- don't use compressed audio. Convert it to wav or aiff files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Patryk WellfareRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 12:51:36 pm
Last Edited By Patryk Wellfare on Dec 27, 2015 at 12:54:58 pm

I don't think Creative Cloud lets me go back to an older version of anything without forcing me to update it afterwards.
I rendered it in a high quality codec. Tried QT with MPEG4, H264 and animation. All of those had audio but were way too big for me to upload. Only WMV and MP4 are struggeling with the first 6 minutes of the audio but those are the render options I would prefer since they're high quality and have a fairly small final output size. I imported the project into Premiere and saw in preview window that in audio composition (I made a composition where all of the tracks were in) the first 6 minutes of audiowaves were ''full'' (like the tracks would be really loud) but without any sound while after the 6 minutes I can see normal audiowaves and play the audio just fine.

My solution for now was I rendered it in QT with h264 with audio on and imported this file (which was about 70GB big) into Movie Maker (yes, seriously) and rendered it from there into a MP4 file. Movie Maker gives me around 150MB of a file size per minute. Count that up to 56 minutes and gives me roughly 8GB of a file. Still way bigger than it should be but Adobe seems to have let go all the talented people in their teams.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 6:53:32 pm

Mp4 / h264 is NOT high-quality. It's often an acquisition codec and very frequently a delivery codec, intended for final use. But for intermediate work as in AE? It can behave erratically. Furthermore, the audio's compressed, not a good thing.
Stick to the stuff mentioned earlier. Get used to the big file sizes.
Also -- you can indeed download and install previous versions of CC. If you need to update after installation -- as opposed to an upGRADE -- so be it. It won't replace versions already installed. Sorry, I don't have a link to get it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Patryk WellfareRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 27, 2015 at 7:14:44 pm

How come I read everywhere that MP4/H264 is a highly recommended format for YouTube and video platfomrs in general? I always used it without any issues even though the file size was still a bit large.

I am not using it for intermediate work in AE. MP4 was supposed to be for the final use for upload of the composition I am trying to render. I am trying to render it out which doesn't work properly due to audio issues.

Also you told me to use .wav files whereas I am using .wav files, only one single track is a .mp3 file and can't be compressed since they are in the composition that's supposed to be rendered for the final use.

It wouldn't be an issue for me having to deal with bigger file sizes if the area I live in would allow for faster internet to be able to upload them within a few hours, otherwise I wouldn't even be here asking for a solution and just stick to the X amount of gigabytes the final render gives me where the audio works aswell.

QT/h264 is what I ended up using (for the file I imported into Movie Maker to make it a reasonable size) and it seems to make it look like it's ''ghosting'' (the previous frame is still visible, just very very faint and that creates a kind of delayed look).

As I said the composition in AE was supposed to be rendered in MP4/H264 via AME which always worked just fine. The render is for the final use.

Sorry if I just understand you wrong writing this comment but this issue has taken alot of sleep from me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 2:25:42 am

It sounds as if you need to begin at the beginning. Forget the youtube AE tutorials made by high school kids for a while and focus on getting things right. AE may be fun to use but it's not easy to learn.

First thing -- get yourself a copy of AE CC 2014. You'll have to dig for it on the Adobe web site. AE CC 2015 contains so many bugs & quirks that it'll drive a newbie nuts. Do jt. Get AE CC 2014. Install it. Use it.

Next, search for the Getting Started With After Effects pages on the Adobe web site. Go through it and understand it. Then you'll get a lot more out of tutorials. Why, you might even be able to spot the crummy ones on youtube... and there are a boatload of them.
Hey, don't feel insulted or bad or anything like that. Everybody eventually has to learn the basics in. AE. The smart ones learn them right away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Patryk WellfareRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 12:35:09 pm

Don't worry I won't feel insulted from someone who is trying to help me!
Welp, I've been using AE for 3 years now and it's the first time I came across an issue like that.

What tutorials do you mean in general? I mean, I know how to do the things I want in AE when it comes to animation etc. because otherwise I wouldn't be able to make a living out of it,atleast a small part of it, and I also got already the right settings for me under ''edit > preferences>....'' where I maxed out pretty much everything so it uses the most of the hardware but it's just the output I am always struggeling with.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:04:12 pm

I claim very little experience using AE, but have a lot of experience in having to outsmart the computers when they do frustrating things like this!

Try this - export as AUDIO ONLY. In other words, export just a .wav file if you can, not sure if that's an option for AE, but I've done this in Premiere before when audio exports were wonky. If you can get a good audio-only export, import the .wav file back into project, lay it on the timeline, and MUTE all the original audio tracks. Now export the video, with the good audio track.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it\'s rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 3:23:22 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "export just a .wav file if you can, not sure if that's an option for AE"

Nope. We once had audio problems on render and we exported a audio only Quicktime file, brought that back in and exported again using that as the audio. Then it worked.

Personally I would only use audio in AE if I needed to sync something to the beat. I would master the whole thing in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 4:17:35 pm

AE CC 2015 contains a bug/quirk that doesn't include audio unless it's a QT movie. AE doesn't always play nicely with highly-compressed video. AE has never performed consistently with compressed audio, including compressed audio in a video file.

Hence my recommendation to use AE CC2014.
Hence my recommendation to transcode.
Hence my recommendation to avoid compressed audio.

Those are the rationales for my replies above.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Patryk WellfareRe: No Audio in 1h long video no matter what format it's rendered in
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 5:42:07 pm

Well, seems like not only AE is affected but AME too. Thank you for your patience with me. I will try to get a copy of CC 2014, I prefered it anyway since the upgrade to 2015.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2015 at 5:51:31 pm

Got a link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic...

Look for "Install previous versions of apps" halfway down the page.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]