ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Guardians of the Galaxy Cast Title Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan HetheringtonGuardians of the Galaxy Cast Title Effects
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 4:12:47 am
Last Edited By Dan Hetherington on Dec 23, 2015 at 4:15:48 am

In the opening title effects, you seem quickly transition on, but the letters appear to transition on in sections. Was this done with alpha mattes and animated fractile noise? Or maybe a simple mask layer?

In a unrelated effect, I also tried doing an alpha and/or luma matte layer with animated mosaic tiles to create text that would slowly animate on in tiles. I can't seem to get find a good technique or find out which property of the noise layer to animated them on smoothly enough. The black mosaic tiles turning on look like they are simply on top of the text and not animated the actual text, or the mosaic blocks on transitioning to full opacity without slowly fading in. Driving me insane!

Is there a tutorial on alpa and luma matting text in like this?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Guardians of the Galaxy Cast Title Effects
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 8:39:53 am

Guardian of the galaxy titles: It happens so fast it is hard to tell how it is done. A fractal noise mask would pretty much give the same impressions although it is unlikely it was done that way.

The trick with tiles is using an animated threshold value and using the layer as a track matter to let the other layer through. Unless you are talking about some other kind of animation.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Guardians of the Galaxy Cast Title Effects
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 1:25:38 pm

I used to download the clip from youtube and watched it frame by frame. It looks like for the each person's name, each letter was individually masked based on the strokes of the letter and then faded on. The titles of each person seem to be a simple opacity face per letter, though sometimes the order is randomized a bit.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved