ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apply a drop shadow to multiple layers at once?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Clara
Apply a drop shadow to multiple layers at once?
on Dec 21, 2015 at 2:38:26 pm

Or, more easily than applying it to each layer, one at a time, making all of the necessary adjustments to each one? I have a composition imported from Illustrator, I'm trying to create a construction paper cutout look, and each layer needs a drop shadow applied to give the individual bits some separation from the rest.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Apply a drop shadow to multiple layers at once?
on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:47:00 pm

You can apply your Drop Shadow to a single layer, tweak it, then select the Drop Shadow and Edit > Copy with Property Links.

Multi-select the other layers you want to add the Drop Shadow to, then Paste. They will all now have Drop Shadow with expressions on the properties referring to the layer you copied from, so you can adjust them altogether from a single place.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matt Clara
on Dec 21, 2015 at 4:27:11 pm

Thank you! I was very excited, right up until I clicked "paste" and AE crashed. :( I save often, though, so, I think I'll shut down some other programs, maybe restart, and then try again. Right after lunch.

Return to posts index

Matt Clara
on Dec 21, 2015 at 6:15:12 pm

Apparently that's a known bug with a workaround: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1512352

Return to posts index

John Howes
on Dec 21, 2015 at 7:17:00 pm

Another solution to this that perhaps will not crash your computer is the use of an adjustment layer. Layer>new>adjustment layer. once the layer is created place it above the layers you want to affect in the index and then apply the drop shadow effect to the adjustment layer. The effect should be applied to every layer under the adjustment layer.

I hope that helps good luck :)

Return to posts index

Matt Clara
on Dec 22, 2015 at 7:11:05 pm

Ya know, I tried that before coming here, and it didn't do a dang thing to my imported AI art (which had a texture applied via track mask, and then a multiply blend to let the AI art show through--if that doesn't make sense, here's the tutorial I found that showed me how:

, My point is, maybe all that biz was why the adjustment layer didn't work for me). Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]