ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need Advice on Green Screen Key

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin BayangNeed Advice on Green Screen Key
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:01:21 am
Last Edited By Martin Bayang on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:22:37 am

Hello all,

I'm seeking advice on a badly set up green screen (see photo). There was someone on set that knew about setting up green screen, but from what I understand, production shot this without them present, and unfortunately there's no chance of a reshoot. The shot is as locked as possible, with minor pan from accidental movement, and I am working in After Effects version 13.5.1. The footage was shot on a RED one, and we will be finishing these shots to 4k PNG sequences to go to coloring for export. Color will be giving us the graded FG and BG elements, we're just pulling keys to use as mattes.

I've broken the shot into various sections (making animated garbage masks for each) to work on separately and layer together.: Clara Head, Left Car, Middle/Right Car, Andre Head, and Mirror. I am using multiple passes of Keylight for core and edge mattes, following the procedure found here, and layering another instance of the footage with a holdout mask for the areas that are "solid" and not against the green screen (eg, the majority of Andre's head, and the inside of the car) because there was a lot of noise and spotty pixels)

However, the edges of the car are still boiling quite a bit, and the girl's hair is proving to be difficult to key out, even with the core and edge matte method. Does anyone have any advice to give me about how to work on this shot?

Much appreciated,

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Need Advice on Green Screen Key
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 9:09:37 am

I put most green screen footage through denoiser with temporal filtering before feeding it to keylight. Gives a much cleaner result on those problem areas like hair and motion-blurred parts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved