ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Illustrator and After effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james sandiferIllustrator and After effects
by on Dec 19, 2015 at 9:29:38 pm

Hi, I'm experiencing a really odd issue with illustrator files that I'm animating in after effects. I received illustrator files from an artist which were all clipped onto a single layer. I spent hours yesterday going through the files and separating everything into layers ready for animation in after effects. I imported the files into after effects and I've started animating.

I wanted to make a slight adjustment to one of the illustrator source files so I opened it up, and all of the layers that I set up and labelled have disappeared and it's all clipped again to a single layer.

Inside my after effects project all the imported AI files still appear to be fine and linked up with all the layers that I created. But the actual source files when opened in illustrator are different!!!

It's really odd! It's all working fine at the moment, but my worry is that the files will start to get unlinked if they update and realise that the source files have lost their layers...

It seems like more of an illustrator issue - why would my files which I edited into layers change on their own and become a single layer? And why would after effects appear to still be reading the layered file? Does anyone know how I can fix these files?!? Anyone experienced similar issues.

Illustrator and After effects CS6 / Mac OS 10.9.5

Please help if you can! Thank you!

Return to posts index

james sandiferRe: Illustrator and After effects
by on Dec 19, 2015 at 9:40:40 pm

Some other info - the original files were created by another artist, perhaps using CC.

- I dont know if his document settings have caused the file to flatten itself?

One of the files I set up yesterday I pasted the images into a fresh document, this is the only file that still has it's layers.

Return to posts index

james sandiferRe: Illustrator and After effects
by on Dec 19, 2015 at 10:43:20 pm

More info - If I import the file to AE again, it has all the layer structure. Also opened up in fireworks as a test and that has the layer structure too - it's only in illustrator the layer structure has disappeared! Must be settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved