ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating text grid that "decodes"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam SchoalesCreating text grid that "decodes"
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 2:24:36 am

So here's what I'm trying to create; I want a grid of text that is constantly "decoding" which is to say the letters are all fluctuating. But at points certain letters will freeze to form words. I figured this would be easy enough to build. I simply created a text block that's a specific size (my comp), typed in a bunch of random letters, filled in where I want my actual words to do and then using the animate properties would adjust the character offset to make it look like they're all changing. The problem is that when doing so the spacing gets all screwed up because of what I'm assuming if the fact that I'm not using a monospace font. Switching to a monospace font does seem to improve things but obviously they are far less impressive looking.

So is there some work around I can do to make sure that I've got a series of letters, perfectly aligned, constantly rotating but able to hold on specific letters to form words? I'm sure I can't be the first person to have tried and effect like this?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating text grid that "decodes"
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 4:10:28 am

While it might be possible to convert the font you want to use to monospace, it would involve a lot of work, using software such a FontForge (which is free). Here's a discussion of the pitfalls entailed in doing this:

An alternative would be to maybe shift your choice of typefaces, and go with an alternative, funkier monospaced font:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved