ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Value After Effects Render Node

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simsense MediaValue After Effects Render Node
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 1:57:04 am

Hello, I'm looking to speed up my rendering times on After Effects. I'm working with 4k resolution video files. I don't have much of a budget and was wondering if a used server computer would make a good render node. Here are the specs:

HP Proliant DL360 G7
Intel X5675 * 2 (3.06 Ghz/6core)
24GB RAM (6*4GB)
146GB HD 10k SAS

It is selling for $419 on eBay.

Would I need to upgrade the hard drive or the RAM for Adobe Render Engine, or would it be more efficient if I just bought 2 of these?

It takes a little over an hour to render 1 minute of footage with my laptop:

Core i7-4710HQ
GeForce GTX 860M

Cutting it down to 15 minutes per minute of footage would suffice.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Value After Effects Render Node
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:41:09 am

I wouldn't recommend this course of action.

I don't think the Render Engine is worth the headache of using with just one node. Some GPU-based effects like Element wouldn't work on that server unless you can cram a real GPU in there.

I think you'd be better off buying a workstation and running a full seat of Ae on it.

We could also discuss what you are doing now with your laptop and see if there's anything you're doing now that's slowing you down unnecessarily.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Simsense MediaRe: Value After Effects Render Node
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 9:49:58 pm

I'm not sure Element will be required for what I'm rendering. It will be very little motion graphics, and mostly high res video. I just tested some different configuration on my laptop using a 10 second clip. With 7 cores and 1.5GB RAM per core, it took 9 minutes and 14 seconds to render. Using 5 cores and 2GB took 8 minutes and 9 seconds. While using 3 cores and 3GB took 8 minutes and 4 seconds. I'm using AE version 13.2. The CPU on my laptop is an Intel i7-4710HQ 2.50GHz so its understandable why its so slow. I'm also combining 2 video sources, into 1 output.

The server just seemed like a good value in terms of computing power. I figured I could drop in a few more memory sticks and a SSD to speed it up. I'd be happy with a rig that dropped the time to render 10 seconds of footage to 2 minutes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved