ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Space" Character is different than in other applications

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lennert Daniëls
"Space" Character is different than in other applications
on Dec 14, 2015 at 12:46:13 am

Hi folks,

So I'm working on a project in After Effects CS6 (Windows), and I'm using the Impact Label font.

As you can see, all characters are supposed to be surrounded by a box in the chosen color. The letters themselves are transparent. The "space" character should just be a box, without any transparent parts, but in After Effects, all spaces just show completely transparent.

I've checked the font in Microsoft Word, Photoshop (CS6), and even in FontCreator: the space character should definately be an opaque box.

Is After Effects replacing it by it's own version of the space character? Is there a workaround?

You can download the font here for testing. Let me now if it's the same in AE CC.

Thanks in advance!
Lennert

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: "Space" Character is different than in other applications
on Dec 14, 2015 at 3:55:01 am

I guess I don't understand the problem. If the text needs to be in a box , just put it in a box made out oc a solid or a shape.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lennert Daniëls
on Dec 14, 2015 at 9:27:34 am
Last Edited By Lennert Daniëls on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:35:35 pm

That would be a cumbersome workaround for 100+ text layers...

If you take a look at the font download page, you can see this "box" is actually part of the font.

EDIT: I've tested another font with a non-blank space character: "Top Secret".
AE just uses a blank space instead of the font-specific space character. Works fine in other applications though...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2015 at 12:39:41 am

If the typeface works in other applications, I'd suggest making the text in Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:56:07 am
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:57:44 am

have you tried imputing the character map's number of space? alt+0160 ? It is still cumbersome but at least copying and pasting is faster than manually positioning rectangles.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Lennert Daniëls
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:25:46 pm

Cassius: Unfortunately, the Altcode didn't work either... Same goes for copying the text from other applications.
Dave: Text needs to be editable, can't go with stills. Also way to cumbersome, considering I need 100-200 perfectly aligned text layers.

Could someone test this problem in AE CC? I'd like to know if Adobe fixed it. Some fonts to test: "Impact Label" and "Top Secret".

I'm now resorting to using a nasty combination of parenting and expressions to create shape layers around the text. A real brain challenge to set up, but sort of semi-automatic when it's finally working.
This workaround also doubles my layer count, since I need one shape layer for every text layer. I'm estimating it'll end up being about 400 layers total.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:45:27 pm

Same issue in CC2015.

A relatively lame workaround idea: Make two characters that don't have any overlapping parts (such as . and +) and use negative tracking value to place them on top of each other. Select this pair copy it and paste it wherever you need a space character.

Return to posts index

Lennert Daniëls
on Dec 15, 2015 at 3:13:48 pm
Last Edited By Lennert Daniëls on Dec 15, 2015 at 3:15:27 pm

@Kalle Kanisto: That's actually a fairly good workaround. It sparked an even easier idea given the software I have access to:

I could use my font editor to remap the space character to some character that I don't use, and perform a "find and replace all" script within After Effects.

Thanks to all! :)

Reported to Adobe, hopefully they take it seriously.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]