ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering 4K footage on CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murat Ataman
Rendering 4K footage on CS6
on Dec 13, 2015 at 6:05:07 pm

Hi, newbie here..

My problem: We shot a short film on Blackmagic 4K. The footage is .mov format, yet 4K. I import it in After Effects CS6 and Premiere CS6 just fine, work around with it, apply my color corrections and effects. All is fine until I render.

When I render (on both AE and PR), I render in lossless AVI format (actually custom AVI on AE since when I click on render Audio it goes from lossless to custom AVI for some reason). The rendered output (whatever.Avi file) plays not so smooth, it freezes quite a bit, I can hear the audio but the picture freezes. I tried on Quicktime player, WMP and VLC, the result is the clip is unwatchable because the frames don't play well.

The clip is 25 fps mov, and I render it the same, 25 fps 16:9.

When I try to render on Quicktime format (instead of lossless or AVI), the result is the same.

And I'm having the similar problems on Premiere CS6. When I render with AVI format it's less choppy but the screen resolution is smaller. When I render with QT it's same with AE.

My system works fine with HDSLR clips, this is the first time I've had this problem. I'm trying to get a lossless output. What am I missing?

Now I'm sure for many of you this is a very simple thing, but I'm a newbie. I'd be very happy if someone told me what I'm doing wrong and what can I do to change this.

My system is Windows 7, i7 4770K, 16gb Ram, GTX 660

Return to posts index

Murat Ataman
Re: Rendering 4K footage on CS6
on Dec 13, 2015 at 6:50:18 pm

Just to add, when I open the clips for a sequence on Premiere Pro, it plays fine on the timeline (before rendering), but when I dynamically link the clip on the timeline with After Effects and work on it on AE for effects, it does appear immediately on Premiere Pro as expected, but this time it no longer plays nicely on the timeline, it freezes frames while I play it on Premiere Pro timeline when it's in pink (meaning worked on AE dynamically).

As for the original settings, I do my sequence settings as Custom 16:9 4K 25 fps clip, but when I import the original clip, it tells me the clip is different than my original sequence settings and asks me whether I want to keep it or change it according to what the clip is, I tell it to change, and it does, the only change I see is it changes it to RED, every other setting is the same. But the clip's format is .mov and wasn't shot on Red.

What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 13, 2015 at 8:22:11 pm

If you are using uncompressed AVI (codec=None) the problem is likely hardware lag caused by the large file size. This will be especially bad with computers using spindle hard disks and constrained RAM. Please provide more information regarding the file and system specs.

Return to posts index

Murat Ataman
on Dec 13, 2015 at 8:45:45 pm
Last Edited By Murat Ataman on Dec 13, 2015 at 8:47:52 pm

File is a 4K .mov file from a blackmagic 4K. I can easily play it on Quicktime player (though the file is so large that the window is larger than my screen, so I have to maximize the window to fit it onto my 23" screen)

My system is a windows 7, intel i7 4770 K, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 660 GPU.

I currently took off my SSD so I'm running my windows from a normal HDD, but I'm running all such media files from a separate external HDD so there's no heavy load on my PC.

I can understand the rendered file size with AVI might be too big for PC to handle (though it shouldn't) or the output exported in Quicktime format.

What I don't understand is the last problem I listed which is this: When I open the clip in After Effects alone, apply color grading and/or any effects, it plays in my timeline even with audio with no problems (it only starts freezing after I render). Same with Premiere Pro, it plays fine in the timeline, even after I apply effects, problem is with the rendered file.

But this problem: I start working on the clip inside Premiere Pro, I apply no effects, it plays on the timeline just fine. When I throw it to After Effects using Dynamic link, it opens in After Effects just fine, I color grade and do whatever, and the clip on Premiere timeline becomes "pink" meaning it's open in AE. That's when it I can try to export/render the video in a smaller (mp4) format but there's still a problem playing it inside Premiere when I dynamically link it to After Effects.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:55:39 pm

Please confirm that this is your setup:

• 4k file
• external hard drive storage
• internal hard drive for applications
• color grading and other effects applied in AE
• Dynamic Link from AE to Premiere Pro
• trying to render and play file in Premiere Pro timeline in real time

Return to posts index

Murat Ataman
on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:09:24 am

• 4k file
• external hard drive storage
• internal hard drive for applications
• color grading and other effects applied in AE
• Dynamic Link FROM PREMIERE PRO TO AE
• trying to render and play file in Premiere Pro timeline in real time

Caps are to emphasize the difference in process mentioned.

Somehow my last two trials of Quicktime and H.264 renders worked, but took nearly an hour for a 17 second clip and with quality loss. I think it may have something to do with me installing Da Vinci resolve because I think it installed some Quicktime components but I'm not sure. I've never worked with 4K files before.

My problem with playing the video clip on Premiere when dynamically linked to After Effects continues. Do these problems stem from the file/resolution size? How can I fix this problem, I have a lot of clips for a 15 minute film including a scene with keying and effects? I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:42:41 am

[Murat Ataman] "I'm trying to get a lossless output. What am I missing?
"

If you're using uncompressed formats you need a fast RAID for your media. It will not run otherwise. Also the original file that comes from the camera isn't uncompressed so it'll run better.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Dec 14, 2015 at 12:35:54 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "If you're using uncompressed formats you need a fast RAID for your media."

Or sufficient SSDs and I/O.

[Murat Ataman] "Do these problems stem from the file/resolution size?

Yes, and the capability of your hardware.

[Murat Ataman] "How can I fix this problem, I have a lot of clips for a 15 minute film including a scene with keying and effects?"

There are several potential actions:

• RAID array or SSD(s) with high speed I/O for storage
• SSD for system and cache drive(s)
• Edit with proxy files and change to camera source files for final render
• Enable video acceleration
• Generate preview files while editing
• Export intermediate files instead of using Dynamic Links with effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]