ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danny masonrendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 9:02:11 am

is anyone else having export/render problems with 2015? i can't seem to get anything to render quicktime h.264, i can't seem to find a setting for mp4 h.264 and several of my exports/renders have only encoded a small fraction of the videos i'm exporting. i'm a junior in film school and have been using this software since before i started so i know i'm not doing anything wrong. if anyone else is having these kinds of issues or knows anything about the problem please let me know

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 4:11:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 13, 2015 at 5:18:55 pm

The short answer: don't use the 2015 version, use the 2014 version instead. You're on the cloud so you can get it. It should take care of your woes.

OR -- here's a thrilling prospect!

You too can get the not-yet-released bug fix to the bug fix to the bug fix for the 2015 version and become a paying Beta tester for Adobe! Never mind that the normal state of affairs is that the software developer compensates the Beta tester, it's Adobe's New World Order! I suspect it's predicated on marketing strategies put into place some years ago, wherein Adobe tried to sell (not rent) its software to every Tom, Dick and Harry who had even a passing interest in multimedia software... and succeeded.

Of course, becoming a paying Beta tester won't solve your immediate need, which is getting things done. However, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you're remitting a monthly fee to help Adobe get its software to work across all the baffling permutations of computers, operating systems and third-party hardware out there.

So back to the original suggestion -- make sure you get an AE version under 13.5 and life should get better. AE CC 2015 project files open in AE CC 2014; if nothing else, you can render there. Personally, I would render a lossless file, and use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode to your delivery specs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

danny masonRe: rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 5:53:24 pm

thanks for the advice. i think i'll do that

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:49:22 am

"Switch back to CC 2014" is not the answer to every question about Ae CC 2015.

Direct render to MP4 was actually removed in Ae CC 2014, on purpose. See here for more:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/adobe-media-encoder-h-264-mpeg-...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:05:11 am

You are absolutely correct, Walter -- not every question needs to be answered by reverting to an earlier version. After all, many people use the current version successfully.

But for those who can't , how do you successfully diagnose the problem? I'd be interested in hearing your no-fail insights on this conundrum.

Moreover, I will be watching with rapt attention as you guide the original poster on the path to success with AE CC 2015 since I seem incapablle of doing so.

Until that occurs, I will continue issuing the same advice to those having problems with this particular version which is, "Don't touch AE CC 2015 with a ten-foot pole -- it's a dog!"

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:12:01 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You are absolutely correct, Walter -- not every question needs to be answered by reverting to an earlier version. After all, many people use the current version successfully. But for those who can't , how do you successfully diagnose the problem? I'd be interested in hearing your no-fail insights on this conundrum. Moreover, I will be watching with rapt attention as you guide the original poster on the path to success with AE CC 2015 since I seem incapablle of doing so."

The same way you diagnose an issue with any version of After Effects. Systematically.

Some issues we see here are in fact bugs in Ae CC 2015 and the best advice is to use 2014 instead. But since I actually use Ae CC 2015, I know quite well what is a bug that cannot be fixed by the user and what is either user error or some other problem the user can address.

One cannot render directly to MP4 with Ae CC 2015, but reverting to Ae CC 2014 won't help with that, because you can't render directly to MP4 there either. The feature was deprecated and hidden in Ae CC (2013) then removed from Ae entirely in CC 2014 because Adobe now handles H.264 compression in Adobe Media Encoder.

One can render to QuickTime H.264 with Ae CC 2015 (but again, this is not good H.264 implementation). It works the same as it did in Ae CC 2014. If Danny cannot render to QuickTime H.264 with Ae CC 2015, we'll need more information about his system, and maybe some relevant screen shots to show what he's seeing.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

danny masonRe: rendering/exporing/encoding issues with cc 2015
by on Dec 15, 2015 at 4:43:20 am

hey guys it's working now for some reason. Before the options were there but it would fly through the render in like 30 seconds and obviously the renders would be no good. and the only reason i'm rendering to quicktime is because that is what my teachers are asking for because practically every computer is able to play. mov files

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2015 at 10:21:48 am

[danny mason] " Before the options were there but it would fly through the render in like 30 seconds and obviously the renders would be no good."

Did you check the output? If so, what was wrong with it?

When Ae's RAM or disk cache is filled with current frames from previews, it can in fact fly through renders without having to spend lots of time recalculating existing frames.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]