ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

replace 3d object - soda can

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew donaldsonreplace 3d object - soda can
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:08:33 pm

Hey folks,
Maybe not a 100% AE question here but theres lots of bright guys in here...

I've been asked to replace a soda can in a tvc because the clients updated their pack. Im trying to figure out the best way to do this...

In a nutshell theres a few shots of someone drinking from the can. Fairly close up and static camera.
I can create a new can in c4d easily enough but not completely sure of the best way to be able to track the can. There is fairly subtle movements on all axis.
This has to be believable, so any ideas are welcome!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: replace 3d object - soda can
by on Dec 10, 2015 at 11:07:35 pm

You're probably going to need something like SynthEyes. You need a tracker that tracks not the camera, but objects in the scene. (SynthEyes does object tracking and camera tracking and other things too - it's pretty cool.) I think PF Track does it too. Boujou too. I'm sure there are others.

You'll need to track the can and tie the movement of your new can to the tracking data.

Then you can worry about all the lovely compositing issues of matching light, getting a correct shadow on the can from the hand, rotoscoping, etc.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

andrew donaldsonRe: replace 3d object - soda can
by on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:22:47 am

Thanks Michael, that's just the answer I was looking for!

I've never considered Syntheyes/Boujou for object tracking, I only thought of them for camera tracking.

Thanks again, I'll go digging...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved