ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Studio Max camera data in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sullivan3d Studio Max camera data in AE
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:58:14 pm

An animator sent me some 3D architectural animations of a new facility. The camera moves through some rooms and around hallways revealing some TV monitors along the way. He currently has green in each monitor and I have to replace it with footage. In hoping to avoid tracking every monitor, he also sent me the camera moves as FBX files. I used an FBX-to-AE plugin to bring in the camera data, but it's not really working the way I had hoped. If I drop a solid into the comp it doesn't match the move(s). I also think, if I can get this to work, I will need a B/W pass that I can use as a track matte to deal with the parallax issues as the monitors are revealed etc. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3d Studio Max camera data in AE
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:40:25 pm

[Mike Sullivan] " I used an FBX-to-AE plugin to bring in the camera data, but it's not really working the way I had hoped. If I drop a solid into the comp it doesn't match the move(s)."

Perhaps the scale and origin are not imported correct? You might be able to fix it with a little trial and error.

3ds Max does have a "Compositor Link" feature and set of plugins for Ae that will allow you to export scene data to Ae more easily.

[Mike Sullivan] "He currently has green in each monitor and I have to replace it with footage... I also think, if I can get this to work, I will need a B/W pass that I can use as a track matte to deal with the parallax issues as the monitors are revealed etc."

Can you make your own matte by pulling a key from the green monitors?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike SullivanRe: 3d Studio Max camera data in AE
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 7:20:30 pm

Pull a key! Didn't even think of that. (Duh.) Thank you very much. can you guide me on what I should ask for from the animator or check that he exported it correctly? First time with this workflow...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3d Studio Max camera data in AE
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 8:46:56 pm

Here's the relevant page from the manual:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp...

You'll need the plugins from Autodesk, too:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/con...

Sorry, we're not currently using 3ds max and I can't test this myself at the moment.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]