ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Studio Max camera data in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sullivan
3d Studio Max camera data in AE
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:58:14 pm

An animator sent me some 3D architectural animations of a new facility. The camera moves through some rooms and around hallways revealing some TV monitors along the way. He currently has green in each monitor and I have to replace it with footage. In hoping to avoid tracking every monitor, he also sent me the camera moves as FBX files. I used an FBX-to-AE plugin to bring in the camera data, but it's not really working the way I had hoped. If I drop a solid into the comp it doesn't match the move(s). I also think, if I can get this to work, I will need a B/W pass that I can use as a track matte to deal with the parallax issues as the monitors are revealed etc. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 3d Studio Max camera data in AE
on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:40:25 pm

[Mike Sullivan] " I used an FBX-to-AE plugin to bring in the camera data, but it's not really working the way I had hoped. If I drop a solid into the comp it doesn't match the move(s)."

Perhaps the scale and origin are not imported correct? You might be able to fix it with a little trial and error.

3ds Max does have a "Compositor Link" feature and set of plugins for Ae that will allow you to export scene data to Ae more easily.

[Mike Sullivan] "He currently has green in each monitor and I have to replace it with footage... I also think, if I can get this to work, I will need a B/W pass that I can use as a track matte to deal with the parallax issues as the monitors are revealed etc."

Can you make your own matte by pulling a key from the green monitors?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike Sullivan
on Dec 7, 2015 at 7:20:30 pm

Pull a key! Didn't even think of that. (Duh.) Thank you very much. can you guide me on what I should ask for from the animator or check that he exported it correctly? First time with this workflow...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 7, 2015 at 8:46:56 pm

Here's the relevant page from the manual:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp...

You'll need the plugins from Autodesk, too:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/con...

Sorry, we're not currently using 3ds max and I can't test this myself at the moment.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]