ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn TakLinear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:02:48 am

I have been trying to mix some C4D files that utilized Linear Workspace with an After Effect file that requires specific Pantone colors.

When I go into the Linear workspace in AE, any use of a Pantone # or a Hexidecimal seems to give me a completely washed out result of the color I want. Going into 16 bit adds another layer of complexity.

Is there a calculation to convert these numbers so i get a precise match in Linear Workspace? Or do I need to approach this differently?

Thanks

TAK

"Nothing is Easy"
Jethro Tull

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:22:34 pm

Create a swatch image from the Pantone colors in Photoshop in sRGB -- just big rectangles filled with the proper colors you want. Make sure you save it with the sRGB profile embedded)

With Ae's color management on, import that PSD and ensure it's correctly interpreted as sRGB. Drop it in a comp, set it as a guide layer to prevent it from rendering anywhere outside the viewer. Use the color picker to grab the values you need; they'll be automatically adjusted for your working space.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Glenn TakRe: Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 6:37:54 pm

Thanks... that seems to do the trick.

While I see a lot of positives with the Linear workspace, it generally causes me more problems than it is worth. Once you commit to linear in a project... you are committed. There's no turning back!

TAK

"Nothing is Easy"
Jethro Tull

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Dec 7, 2015 at 9:05:00 pm
Last Edited By Walter Soyka on Dec 8, 2015 at 5:25:39 pm

[Glenn Tak] "Once you commit to linear in a project... you are committed. There's no turning back!"

Yes. Since linearizing the working space changes the math that's performed by effects, the adjustments you'd make to effects controls also changes considerably. Some things like compositing feel more natural in a linearized working space, others like color correction may feel less natural. You can always work around this to a degree in 32bpc) by using the Color Profile Converter to de-linearize before effects then immediately re-linearize after them, but blending will always be different in linear- versus gamma-encoded spaces.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Glenn TakRe: Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:36:16 pm

One of the more annoying features of Linear Space is that my color libraries don't really work. If I use the color picker from a library swatch I created in Adobe Color, I get a much more washed out version.

I'm not sure what the work flow in 32bit you described above is. Can you direct me to a reference text or video that could help explain?

Thanks again

TAK

"Nothing is Easy"
Jethro Tull

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Linear Workspace - Pantone Colors & hexidecimals
by on Aug 2, 2016 at 4:23:46 pm

[Glenn Tak] "One of the more annoying features of Linear Space is that my color libraries don't really work. If I use the color picker from a library swatch I created in Adobe Color, I get a much more washed out version."

Apply just one Color Profile Converter and set the Input Profile to sRGB (or the native color space the color was initially defined in).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]